Hello Howard Emerson

S~R~O

• Members

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the kind words; it never gets old:-)

I do, but that's another story.....

Where did you hear my music? I see you're from Louisiana, but the only time I was there I was touring with Billy Joel, so I doubt it would have been in those circumstances.

I'd love to get down that way again, especially on my kind of terms doing a solo thing.

What kind of guitar and style do you play?

Regards,

Howard

• Members

Howard ,I sent you an email to explain....

all I can say is" Mi' Casa Su' Casa"..

Come on Down You are Welcome anytime

Me I'm just a Hack with some Finely Crafted Guitar

I have 2 Maton's and a Goodall and a Tricone and of course a Strum stick...also a mando (I can't play)I just started messing with

well style is as you say" but that's another story".....LOL

I dabbul in Blues and Bluegrass and Folk Music..even some Gospel

Regards~SteveO

• Members

Originally posted by SteveO

By the way I love your stuff...an inspiration for sure.....

Now that's the truth! I saw a video of you that was posted by LB a couple of weeks ago. What amazed me wasn't just your technical proficiency (which was/is beyond anything I've ever seen), but the way you made these astoundingly complex musical motifs look absolutely effortless. You made it look like playing the guitar was just the easiest, most natural thing in the world. What talent! What expertise! What a set of instructional videos I have to have!

The Preacher

• Members

Originally posted by Preacher Will

Incidentally, Howard, "Crossing Crystal Lake" is simply magical. I've ordered your CD just to have it--and I get all these other wonderful songs as a bonus!

The Preacher

Preacher,

If you like Howards stuff, you should get in contact with him.

He teaches by long distance video tape. Thanks to the clips posted here by Little Brother, I contacted Howard and was immediatley impressed by the person Howard Emerson, not just the player. He is good people!!

I also loved the song Crossing Crystal Lake and chose it as the first song to learn of Howards. I am now almost half way through the song and learning note for note thanks to Howard. Its not someone elses interpretation, its straight from the man, Howard Emerson by vidoe tape recorded just for me. He addresses you by name and personalizes each tape to your ability. He is also available for any questions or problems you may have. By email or phone.

I know of no better way to learn the songs you love than getting them broke down note for note by the artist themselves.

Howard is a good teacher and motivator as well. He has a way with explaining while he is playing the song, that makes it sink in a little better for me. If I miss something along the way, I just rewind and get the same portion over and over until I get it.

He will point out any flaws in your technique and help you overcome them while teaching you a song you love. He has an incredible ear and can tell much about your technique from a small clip of your playing.

Even though Howard and I have just began our teacher/student relationship, I think this will be a long term deal for me. (If he is willing to put up with my very mediocre abilities). I'm sure he is helping me become a better player. Not just the songs from him, but the improved technique will carry over on all the songs you already know.

Shoot Howard an Email or give him a call. Learn Crossing Crystal Lake like no other can teach you. I highly recommend him.

Scott

• Members

Howard I had a Clich with pay pal ...

so I'll write a check out and Mail it to ya in the Beginning of the Week....

I would Love to have the CD ...

and Yes I caught your sound clips through Shoreline Music.com

That's where I heard your music,and Crystal Lake is a Beauty

I also think I'm gonna go with a Video as Well...

I'll be in Touch Tomorrow if that's OK....

Regards~SteveO

• Members

Hi Scott,

Thank you so much for your appraisal of my teaching method! It's a work in progress, and always will be, though, because every one of my students has a different perception of what I'm showing them.

Therefore I have to pay close attention to their responses. I'll use any kind of metaphor or similie to get a point across as to how something could be played better.

You, Scott, happen to be a pretty advanced player, and even with the difficulty regarding bridge muting, your progress in less than 2 weeks has been very obvious. At some point you will, hopefully, be able to use your classical technique as you see fit, and in an instant be able to switch over what I've been showing you.

This will allow you to play a broader range of music in a broader ranger of sonic styles.

I'm self taught entirely, except for the sponging that all of us do with things we see and hear. I grew up as a frustrated drummer and bass player, and my learning how to fingerpick was an attempt to be a self contained 'band'.

Over the years I learned how to explain what it is that I do, but even now there are times that I'll sit down in front of the camcorder, and it's not always easy. Nothing is scripted and I don't hit the pause button until the tape is done.

I'm still learning, but it's having students like you, and a bunch of others who have committed themselves to learning my stuff, that make my job really enjoyable most of the time.

My hope is that if a student can grasp the technique and feel that I'm imparting, that they will then possess the ability to apply it to songs that they write or arrange themselves.

Steve and Preacher: Thanks for the kind comments, and your cd's are being mailed in the morning.

If anyone has any questions about what it is I do, please don't hesitate to email me or call me at 631-427-4156. If I'm out just leave a number or email me your number and a good time to call.

Best regards,

Howard Emerson

Archived