Holy Moley!! Never seen on like this!

Unk

• Members

I'm assuming that you mean the fan fret layout. I've seen pics of them, but never encountered one in real life. As I recall, the fret layout has been calculated to give better intonation. I think it would be a nightmare to play unless you played it exclusively.

The Preacher

• Members

It's got those fanned frets ... just like some Klein and KisoKlein guitars have. Supposed to improve intonation

I've never seen a Traugott in person, just in magazines .... sure looks neat. I like the IDEA of the slanted bridge ( lengthening the scale on the bass strings .... but I don't like the LOOK of it.

• Members

Here's one of my electroCoustics with fanned frets, a 7 string. The purpose is not better intonation...no better or worse than any fretted instrument, but rather the idea is more solid tonality and "pitch center" as you move into the bass regions...

These are done for the same reason pianos have different lengths of strings. The larger the diameter of the string and the longer the scale length for a given note, the more solid feeling and "present" the fretted note will be.

This particular guitar uses a 25.5" scale for the high e, and a 27.5" scale for the low A...it was sold to a player with the US Navy Big Band that is stationed in New Orleans.

nievesfrontlzsmall.jpg

• Members

He charges what the market bears. He's got a waiting list so I would do the same thing if I were him. I don't think all of his concepts are sound. I understand the idea of long scale on the bass strings.... but the use of a trapeze tailpiece screws it up. For one thing the strings behind the bridge are supposed to be LONGER on the bass side. Any archtop builder knows that.

• Members

Originally posted by AdamOn6thStreet

If you think thats weird...look at this! I think the bottom strings are bass strings and the rest are the guitar part:

pg_hunter1.jpg

Actually an 8 string electric guitar is really not so weird. Charlie Hunter plays one. It's a combination bass and jazz guitar in one. Takes the place of two musicians! Check out his website.

http://www.charliehunter.com/

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

For one thing the strings behind the bridge are supposed to be LONGER on the bass side. Any archtop builder knows that.

Why exactly would this be? As long as the vibrating part of the string is brought up to proper tension, is the correct scale length and pitch, why does it really matter how long the non-vibrating part of the string is? Examples?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanx Unk; but you're freaking me out...Seriously, the nearest I've come to that house 'o' mirrors was Rickenbacker when they had a similar slant fret model line. I seem to remember that those were'nt successful and are'nt particularly collectible. DO YOU think this builder could have been a little more artistic with the bridge design [orig.] to suit the overall "Vulcan" look.

I thank you Unk for the site and the unreal wood this guy has; Did you get a gander at the Brazilian 'Stump' wood??!!

Greystoke

• Members

Originally posted by greystoke 2

Thanx Unk; but you're freaking me out...Seriously, the nearest I've come to that house 'o' mirrors was Rickenbacker when they had a similar slant fret model line. I seem to remember that those were'nt successful and are'nt particularly collectible. DO YOU think this builder could have been a little more artistic with the bridge design [orig.] to suit the overall "Vulcan" look.

I thank you Unk for the site and the unreal wood this guy has; Did you get a gander at the Brazilian 'Stump' wood??!!

Greystoke

Yep, that guitar sure does look like it was created by Aliens on some faraway planet who watched a poor quality interstellar TV transmission from Earth!

Whatever you may think, Traugott does build more traditional guitars and is renowned as one of the best builders in the world.

There are people with ample disposable income who will gladly pay builders like him $10,000 for a custom made instrument. There is quite a waiting list for his stuff so someone is buying them, although I suspect that the slant fret is more an experiment for displaying at shows.

• Members

I am sorry..... that thing is the ugliest guitar I have ever seen! It looks like the builder was DRUNK when he made it! If I was going to spend that much money, I would gladly give it over for a REAL 1957 Fender Stratocaster! (NOT that reissue junk!) Playing that guitar and those wierd frets would just make me dizzy! I think it is a FAD myself! I really can't see this design going anywhere!

• Members

Yes that Brazilian stumpwood model was amazing. It blows me away how expensive his guitars are, at least those with Brazilian. Aesthetically though the wood is magnificent! The words guitar mortgage comes to mind.

Archived