Do You Know of Any Strings That Will Mellow a Bright Guitar?

LiveBreatheMusi

• Members

I have a 2002 Cort Earth Series 200GC and it is VERY bright. As far as picks go, Jim Dunlop Jazz Is and 2s seemed to help mellow it out, but it still seems to be rather chimey. We had Elixers (11 gauge) on it originally but they were way too chimey. I'm not sure what we have on it now (maybe GHS Bronze?). Is there a kind or gauge of string that could give it a darker tone without muffling it? Or is it just naturally bright and there's nothing we can do about it? :confused: Thanks!

• Members

I bought 5 packs of GHS Signature Bronze LJ-30 lights. Laurence Juber strings. They are very full and warm and I was not expecting this at all. I thought by the literature they would be bright on the scale of brightness. Each GHS pack has a graphical comparison of all of their models on the rear.

They are six bucks a pack and I love them for this very reason you are asking. You may try a pack.

Here is what they say

Signature Bronze
Cyrogenically treated Copper-Tin-Phosphor Alloy
Formulated with technical expertise and performer passions. Designed with the assistance of Laurence
Juber, world renowned fingerstyle guitar player. Cryogenically treated, bronze plated core and plain wires
with phosphor bronze wraps. Gold looks

• Members

maybe your guitar had the elixir nanowebs on it.
the elixir polywebs would be warmer sounding.

someone mentioned silk and steel. those will definitely mellow the tone, but you may not get as much life out of them. they are lower tension than standard strings too.
d'addario, martin, ghs and probably some others i don't know of make silk and steel sets. whether they muffle it too much or not is up to your ears.

http://www.juststrings.com probably has those along with the others recommended if you can't find them locally.

you could also try:

picking closer to the neck
jim dunlop nylon picks
regular light 12's instead of 11's.

Archived