Problems with my acoustic/electric!

taylorgtrs

• Members

Hey,

I have a taylor 814ce and I am having problems with the electrics. When I plug in all the strings get amplified, but the G string is very very muted. I tried changing strings and putting in a fresh battery, but it didn't fix the problem.

This is a recent problem and i need it fixed to play out!

Thanks

Adam

• Members

I'm no expert but what kind of pickup system is it-ES, dual source, undersaddle only? Might help in the diagnosis. If it's only being picked up under the saddle, that's the first place to look-not making good contact. If it has multiple sources, that's tougher.

• Members

Usually, when one string's not as loud as the others it's because of the bridge under the saddle not being flat enough-not solid contact with the ribbon under the saddle. Since you say it's a recent problem, was it okay for a while and just started doing it? I've seen this problem with used guitars I was considering buying-it was the low E string. The repair guy tried to fix it and it came back with the two high strings not coming through at all. There has to be solid contact. Maybe it sounds muted because only the mic is picking it up on that string. I'd take it to a repair shop-it shouldn't cost too much to fix if that's the problem.

• Members

The saddle transducer in that system REQUIRES a perfect mating surface between the saddle and bottom of the saddle slot in the bridge.

As guitars age it's not uncommon for the slot bottom to bow just a touch, and the problem you describe then shows up. It's a standard fix for any luthier that has installed these UST's...

My shop charges anywhere between $25 to $75 for the fix...it's a cut and try it repair job, and rarely is fixed on the first try. LB has a "clay shim" trick to correct this problem.....

http://littlebrother.nlpd.com/Clay-UST/index.htm

If you've never done this kind of work I highly recommend you have a pro do it.

Archived