should i sell or should i .......

AJWhiting

• Members

i need some advice on something that i have been debating with myself on for a few weeks now. ok, here it is:

i am a classical guitarist. or...i was. i spent 8 years in a conservatory environment learning the craft. in those 8 years, i picked up a Robert Ruck concert guitar. The most beautiful nylon string that i have ever seen. Spruce top, Rosewood sides and back. as you can tell, i am in love with it.

now, as i have left the conservatory and branched out into my own music, i have really come to the realization that classical guitar never really did it for me. it was never the music to give me chills. since then, i have invested my time and money in more of an acoustic singer/songwriter genre, while trying to combine a little fingerstyle classical technique with it.

so i have this ruck guitar, that is mostly sitting in its case in my room. i take it out every once in a while, tune it up, soak the humidifiers, and put it back. recently, i got an offer from one of my old friends for $8,000 for it.

now. i really need to invest a lot more money into what i am doing now. ie- a PA System, recording equipment, etc. and this would be a good amount to start with.

so, do i keep a ferrari in my garage if i don't drive it? or do i give it to somebody i trust who will put it to good use?

• Members

Originally posted by AJWhiting

...or do i give it to somebody i trust who will put it to good use?

I would sell it. $8000 will buy an awful lot of high-quality PA and recording equipment. Then again, I've never owned such an expensive guitar, nor do I have any idea of its sentimental value.

However...I think your last line gave away which way you're leaning.

• Members

Originally posted by WGH

I would sell it. $8000 will buy an awful lot of high-quality PA and recording equipment. Then again, I've never owned such an expensive guitar, nor do I have any idea of its sentimental value.

However...I think your last line gave away which way you're leaning.

Dude it is your decision, but you could buy a nice Taylor steel string accoustic/electric and have money left over to buy some really nice recording equipment! Just a suggestion.......

• Members

I also spent some college and post-graduate years studying classical, and then branched out into other things...so I think I know where you are coming from.

I don't know...a Ruck guitar would be a hard thing for me to let go. It is only going to keep going up in value.

There are some great budget acoustics and acoustic amp/PA systems out there. And for recording these days, all you need is a laptop, a mic, and some software. The laptop and recording equipment will be almost worthless after a few years at the rate this stuff advances.

So I say sell the Ruck *only* as an absolute last resort, if there is no other way.

• Members

Originally posted by Beagle1

The laptop and recording equipment will be almost worthless after a few years at the rate this stuff advances.

So I say sell the Ruck *only* as an absolute last resort, if there is no other way.

that is what is keeping me from letting it go. i know that i could have a lot of the things on my musical "wish list" right away if i sold it, but %75 of it is technology related, which does nothing but depreciate in value. and since Ruck announced his retirement, the guitar's value is going up pretty quickly.

but then again..........

thanks for the advice!

• Members

Tough call... I tend to have one of any instrument I'm playing, one that I really like.

Still, if you're not playing it at all... I'd wait a bit and see. If the value is going up then you can't really lose, especially if (as claimed; I'm skeptical) we're coming out of a recession.

Maybe put the guitar somewhere where you'll tend to grab it and play a bit; I put my old crappy acoustic here by the computer and it didn't take long before I was playing it a bunch and ended up buying a decent acoustic.

I like that the potential new owner would really play it, though. That's all I really want out of my "lifetime" instruments after I die... that they go onto somebody who PLAYS them.

• Members

I sold a guitar once to buy a laptop for business use. The laptop is totally worthless, and the value of the guitar has appreciated 100%

A good guitar will hold it's value, and probably continue to appreciate, the equipment you buy will not.

The reason I regrett it is because I would love to have that guitar back, but I may never be able to afford to replace it now. I say when you sell something of value like a guitar, make sure you are sure of your reasons, and if possible get something of similar value.

Recording equipment will depreciate. A good guitar will appreciate. Another type of musical instrument will probably appreciate. If it's made of wood it will still be worth something in 10 years if it's made of plastic it probably won't.

• Members

Depending on your financial situation, I think I would keep the Ruck for now, and get some nominally priced gear that you can play on for a little while until you know better which direction your musical journey is taking you..

You will likely end up at some point wanting to get back into a little classical/nylon string music as part of your songwriting craft, and then you wil regret not having the Ruck. If you discover 6 months from now (1 yr. - whatever) that you still feel the same way, then maybe think about selling it. By that time you will probably have better knowledge about what you really need for a PA set-up, recording equipment etc. and sepnd the proceeds more wisely.

As for getting started so you can test drive your new passion, I think for about $2,000 or so you could get some value-priced gear that will give you the time to really settle in and learn before making any rash choices. A possible set-up that would work even if you go full-bore later would be a Larrivee 03 or maybe even a Carvin Cobalt 980, a Carvin AD100 acoustic amp (basically a little three channel PA in a box) (W/ extension speaker if you want.), some mics and mic cords (AKG d790, or something even cheaper-a 3pack?) a mic stand or two and you'll have a rig good for playing at home (or small coffeeshops) For recording stuff, maybe some software for your computer, a little mixing board (w 4 XLR inputs)/4 track type deal and a couple decent condenser mics, and you'll at least be able to record and develop ideas/ songs etc. People on these forums can help more than I can in this area within certain budgets.

If you keep growing and want to upgrade, you'll be able to use much of this stuff later , won't have to lay out too much $$ to get started, will give your self time to learn about your desires--all without selling an item of true sentimental and monetary value that you'll likely want later in life.

• Members

thank you guys for all of the input.

i am already actively gigging in the singer/songwriter genre. i play on a taylor 414CE, so i am not immediately in the market for another steel string. and i have another nylon, although it is a beater and doesn't sound all that great. so i would inverst part of the money back into another nylon.

the recording equipment is definitely not a necessary item. the PA equipment is. so i am looking to drop around 2,000 for that. ( is that reasonable?) at least that is the most that i would like to spend, at first.

i feel like hanging on to the Ruck is the way to go right now. might feel differently about it later. but i do feel that a part of me would regret it later if i let it go.....

thanks again.

Archived