How popular was Hawaiian music in the USA?

Teles_rules

• Members

Hawaiian music greatly influenced the pop music of the time. The Uke got a huge boast from Hawaiian music.

You can still hear Hawaiian influence in pedal steel playing and western swing.

Look to Arthur Godfrey, Santo and Johnny and Ry Cooder.

• Members

Here's a couple links on this subject for your reading enjoyment...

http://larkinthemorning.com//article.asp?AI=21&

http://www.surfingforlife.com/music.html

I've got an instructional Hawaiian Slide Guitar video by Bob Brozman where he talks about the history and influence of this style in America. Apparently it was the most popular style in terms of record sales for a time. TG is right in how it influenced other styles, I'd also add that these players influenced country dobro players early on.

BTW, the material on his video is not easy by any stretch, and I do play slide quite a bit. Lap style with a bar is a whole 'nother deal. It's great to watch him "shred" on this style, if I can use that word - lots of rapid fingerpicked triplets with quick slanted bar moves. Hats off to those that can play like that!

• Members

Well the dobro is a USA invention but I know slide is probably credited to Hawaii. So I guess it's probably more of a matter of influence more than hawaiian music being super popular. Alot of it is not too polished and involves alot of informal arrangements. I just tend to think of it as more influential than anything else more direct. I think Hawaii became the 50th state in 1959. Sorry if that was already stated.

Here's some history I found. I know some people that are much more knowledgeable than I.

http://www.dancingcat.com/shorthist.shtml

Hawaiian slack key guitar (ki ho'alu) is one of the world's great acoustic guitar traditions. However, due to Hawai'i's isolation (the islands lie furthest in the world from any major land mass) ki ho'alu remains one of the least known traditions. Ki ho'alu, which literally means "loosen the key," is the Hawaiian-language name for this unique finger-picked style. The strings (or "keys") are "slacked" to produce many beautiful tunings, almost always based on a major tonality and often containing a full major chord, or a chord with a major 7th or 6th note. Each tuning produces a characteristic resonance behind the melody, and each has its own characteristic color and flavor, like a beautiful basket of fruit.

Many Hawaiian songs and slack key guitar pieces reflect themes, such as stories of the past and present, and aloha for loved ones. Hawai'i's tropical surroundings, with its ocean, volcanoes, mountains, waterfalls, forests, plants and animals, provide other deep sources of inspiration for Hawaiian music.

READ MORE
http://www.dancingcat.com/shorthist.shtml

• Members
Originally posted by LittleBrother

Well the dobro is a USA invention but I know slide is probably credited to Hawaii. So I guess it's probably more of a matter of influence more than hawaiian music being super popular.....

I think you're quite wrong there LB. My understanding is that in the early 1900's (well before both your and mine) Hawaiian music was a HUGE craze worldwide, not just the USA.

Thank god we were born later eh? :D

• Members
Originally posted by FingerBone Bill

I think you're quite wrong there LB. My understanding is that in the early 1900's (well before both your and mine) Hawaiian music was a HUGE craze worldwide, not just the USA.

Thank god we were born later eh?
:D

Yeah plus you don't hear alot of that style where I am from. Musta been a west coast thing ;)

• Members

It's hard to say who played slide first. In the book "Deep Blues" the author tells of an African instrument called the Jitterbug that is one string streched over a sound box. The slaves made them like the ones they had in Africa and played the with a stone or metal or glass slide while plucking the string. In Africa they used a hard stone or such for the slide. They also streched a string on the side of a porch post or wall and played it there. Apparently the Delta Blues slide style came from Africa with the slaves. How it started elsewhere I don't know.

• Members

Just a note to point out that slide is really not integral to Hawaiian music, but the use of hundreds of open tunings are. It was almost a family thing, tunings handed down for generations. I took some lessons from George Kahumoku, hoping to help my playing in open G. While I learned a lot, slide had no part in the lessons. George is one of the best, and rarely if ever uses a slide. Bob Brozman does, but thats Bob. Even when Bob and Led Ka'apana play together, Led does not use a slide.

Check out Georges link in my earlier post, he has a good history lesson on Hawaiian music.

• Members
Originally posted by Carle

It's hard to say who played slide first. In the book "Deep Blues" the author tells of an African instrument called the Jitterbug that is one string streched over a sound box. The slaves made them like the ones they had in Africa and played the with a stone or metal or glass slide while plucking the string. In Africa they used a hard stone or such for the slide. They also streched a string on the side of a porch post or wall and played it there. Apparently the Delta Blues slide style came from Africa with the slaves. How it started elsewhere I don't know.

Great posts. I learned alot. One thing I know also is that I was playing slide with glass objects and flashlight batteries before I ever knew what slide was. So I know for a fact that people have probably been playing around with slide since the first stringed instruments were ever played. There is no telling who actually invented slide in the first place but I know it has developed into quite an art form. Your right about the string nailed to a cabin, which makes the entire home an acoustic instrument, technically. Not very portable but heck noone can steal your instrument and walk off with it either ;)

• Members

A huge craze...Can't add anything to the links already posted, but consider all the "motif" inst.s still for sale. My take is - As the Hawaiian language gets by on 12 or so letters; so does their music. As late as '63 I was taking steel guitar [lap] lessons on a Spanish styled guitar.
Greystoke

Archived