Opinions on Washburns?

bullpencoach

• Members

For a well-known brand, Washburn gets very little discussion on this board. I think I may have simply been very fortunate and gotten a particular guitar ('90 EA-20) that, though factory made abroad, has happened to open up really well over the years, but I'm wondering what some other opinions are.

• Members

I think Washburns have found themselves wedged into a tough market along with Fender and a few other long time guitar makers. With companies like Seagull getting a lot of attention in the entry level market, the Taylor 100 and 200 series as well as the Larrivee entry levels hitting the $700 range and now the Breedlove Atlas entering the mix, companies like Washburn who have specialized in this price range are finding themselves kind of on the outside looking in. It is hard to sell a guitar that is not solid wood this days when Larrivee and Taylor both offer solid guitars for 600-700.

• Members

Good points. Though I think their base-level offerings are still something to look into. I would at least be looking at something like a Martin 000X1 first a slimmer, more expensive instrument. Of course, this is not taking electronics into account, but I am not generally thrilled with acoustic-electric sounds, stock or aftermarket.

Archived