Do you guys name your Guitars??

Dean

• Members

I don't name them they name themselves or do with out.

My D28 that I bought new in 76 is Sweet Thang and I was kinda embarrased about that for years (big tough male guitar called Sweet Thang). My 00-15 is Little Sister

My Kelly concert has no name just refered to as the Kelly

My 59 Harmony archtop is Bill. I don't know why it's just Bill.

• Members

Ok I'll confess~
Maton 6 string......... Matilda...(Ma~til~da)
Maton 12 string........Maranda.(Ma~ran~da)
Goodall Koa..............Miss Koaloha.(Ko~ah~lo~a)

The other instrurments in the House have not spoken to me Yet,
so they are those, who, shall remain nameless untill they Speak their name to me......

• Members

I haven't really thought about it but I shall. I have one guitar worthy of a name. When I do name her it'll have to be one of those beautiful, timeless names. I say that because I've met women before who had beautiful names. Sometimes though despite their pretty name they are ugly people inside and for some reason the pretty name loses its luster. Okay, I'm overthinking it. I just can't name my guitar Mergatroid or something like that. Hmmmm, I'll have to get back to ya'......

• Members

Nope, but if I did I would follow three basic personal rules:

1) All guitars are female, but dreadnoughts are butch. Why are they female? "Strumpet" ~~= "Strum it".
2) Four syllable names are pretentious.
3) Bases are boys with pensil-necks and big ears.

• Members

I don't see guitars (cars, tools, etc.) as having human personalities, so I don't give them human names.

There are no names for the sort of connection I have with the right instrument... my best instrument (for me) is a 69 P-bass and it doesn't have any kind of name, it's just that bass I've had for so many years.

I think about this every once in a while... people who give things human names and personalities... I think it would be rather strange to view everything as some sort of person. For me guitars have guitar personalities, cars have car personalities, and so on. Maybe the Teisco del rey* semi-Strat-copy I learned on has some specific guitar personality, but aside from "sorta like a Tele" there isn't any word in English for it.

*I've still got that guitar! The string spacing is too narrow, it's noisy, etc., but I don't plan on ever letting it go. It's got vibe, baby, vibe. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Sooo...I see where we're kinda polarized on this subject. On the one hand-We have the logical tool-users that feel, giving a inanimate object a name is somehow unmanly[i'll call them the Spocks]; And on the other hand, we have people who are quite content with their feelings/adequacy vis-a-vis relating to a guitar[i'll call us the McCoys].
I for one, am happy, if not in talent but in company, to include myself in such 'Real McCoys' such as B.B.,Stevie Ray,Eric-etc. etc. etc.
Greystoke

• Members

Originally posted by greystoke 2

I for one, am happy, if not in talent but in company, to include myself in such 'Real McCoys' such as B.B.,Stevie Ray,Eric-etc. etc. etc.

Greystoke

It's easy to find out who named their guitars. Try to find out who didn't, make a list, and then see if any of them do not qualify as "Real McCoys."

With all due respect, Greystoke, IMO your comments are absurd.

• Members

Originally posted by SteveO

Ok I'll confess~

Maton 6 string......... Matilda...(Ma~til~da)

Maton 12 string........Maranda.(Ma~ran~da)

Goodall Koa..............Miss Koaloha.(Ko~ah~lo~a)

The other instrurments in the House have not spoken to me Yet,

so they are those, who, shall remain nameless untill they Speak their name to me......

yeah i use to smoke that stuff too. but that was many years ago

Archived