Headstock strings ringing?

Scodiddly

• Members

Here's a weird thing...

I bought my first real acoustic guitar a couple months ago, a Taylor. It's a great guitar, few or no complaints.

However, I'd occasionally noticed a little tiny ringing/reverb, like some tiny part was resonating and continued ringing after I'd damped a chord. Today I was experimenting with a new microphone and the ringing really stood out. I tracked it down to the little lengths of string on the headstock, between the nut and the tuners.

Does anybody have some kind of damper on those? I'm seriously thinking about putting some felt or weaving some cord into the strings above the nut.

• Members

Originally posted by robustos

It sounds like the problem may be that one or more strings may be buzzing at the nut. This can happen if the slots are not properly grooved to match your strings.

Rob

to elaborate a bit on that:

the angle of the nut slot needs to match the break angle of the string over the nut. if the slot doesn't match you can get that pinging type noise. with the proper angle the lowest part of the slot should be the part of the slot closest to the headstock of course.

• Members

I'm not getting any problems on the fret side of the nut. All the strings sound fine. What's happening is that I can pluck the sections above the nut and they ring out nice and clear, with good sustain. Not what I want ringing sympathetically after I've muted the chord I was playing.

• Members

If you are not picking the strings between the tuner pegs and the nut but are picking a chord and then mute the strings then there should be no way for harmonics to drive the strings above the nut. I can see where an open string chord may make some of the strings above the nut ring but if you mute the strings the sound should stop. I have never heard a guitar do this. How about emailing Taylor and asking them about the problem you are having. Maybe they can tell you something about it.

• Members

Originally posted by Carle

If you are not picking the strings between the tuner pegs and the nut but are picking a chord and then mute the strings then there should be no way for harmonics to drive the strings above the nut. I can see where an open string chord may make some of the strings above the nut ring but if you mute the strings the sound should stop. I have never heard a guitar do this. How about emailing Taylor and asking them about the problem you are having. Maybe they can tell you something about it.

Sounds like a reasonable thing to try.

I wonder if it's because I'm a fairly agressive player? I do tend to work a guitar pretty hard, and with a fair amount of damping.

• Members

Scodiddly,

I've never had the problem you describe but if my memory is correct, I think someone was having this problem with a Taylor on the Taylor Guitar Forum a few months ago.

I remember it because I thought it was very strange. (Still do) :)

You may post on the Taylor board and get a reply from someone involved in the earlier issue. (Unless it was you that I remember posting on the Taylor board);)

I would be interested in knowing the cause when you do find it.

Good luck,

Scott

• Members

When I went to see Chris Proctor I noticed he uses a piece of dark foam, cut to fit, that he placed behind the nut on the headstock. I asked him why he did that and he said specifically to stop any sympathetic vibration in the strings there. The piece of foam wasn't much larger than the nut itself and was unobtrusive. You may consider trying that option.

Archived