wow, I'm actually starting to get a feel for playing slide

EvilTwin

• Members

I have always sucked at playing slide, but I've been at it like a mad man the past few days.

I saw the RnR HoF induction ceremony and watched ZZ Top, and Billy Gibbons reminded me of how much I loved the sound of slide playing.

I could never get it, though. I only tried on my middle and pinky fingers, though, and I tried at that for months. Billy gave me the idea to try it on my middle finger again.

I can't believe I didn't do this sooner! I'm not great by any stretch of the imagination, but at least it sounds like a guitar being played when I do it now.

• Members

I've always wanted to dabble in some slide work. I've tried a couple of times, enough to know it isn't as easy as I hoped it would be. I always thought that I should concentrate on learning to play with the slide on my pinky or ring finger to I could fret some notes when needed.

Sounds like you found the right inspiration. Whatever makes it feel more natural has got to help. Sometimes things just click.

• Members

Originally posted by Unk

I've always wanted to dabble in some slide work. I've tried a couple of times, enough to know it isn't as easy as I hoped it would be. I always thought that I should concentrate on learning to play with the slide on my pinky or ring finger to I could fret some notes when needed.

Sounds like you found the right inspiration. Whatever makes it feel more natural has got to help. Sometimes things just click.

You're exactly correct on the pinky/ring finger thing. I thought, "what use is playing slide if I can't go back and fret some notes, too?"

I can actually go back and fret power chords with the slide on my middle finger, though, so it's not all bad. It's harder to dampen behind the slide with just my index finger, though, and I still have to work on my "claw" style.

But you're right, the Rev. Willy G. just hit me as the right inspriation at the right time. :)

• Members

We're all different but I couldn't imagine using a slide on my middle finger. I'm a commited pinky man!

I couldn't find a slide I was happy with the tone of when I first started sliding so I got one made to my specs. Its bronze and its thick and quite heavy. I guess using this has toughened my pinky up.

Using the pinky for slide really frees up the rest of your fingers to play the guitar normally which is something I couldn't do without, I find pure slide too limiting.

But there's more than one way to skin a cat - David Hole plays electric slide with the slide on his index finger!

Archived