What's wrong with this fuzzface layout?

strtdv

• Members

No offence intended, but did you cut the strips at the 4 points as indicated (like where R4 is located, between the two ends of the resistor) in the lay-out? That's a very commom mistake. Also make sure the transistors are in the right position. On the drawing it's difficult to see what the right position is.

A 'normal' diagram would also be hepfull.

• Members

No offence intended, but did you cut the strips at the 4 points as indicated (like where R4 is located, between the two ends of the resistor) in the lay-out? That's a very commom mistake. Also make sure the transistors are in the right position. On the drawing it's difficult to see what the right position is.

A 'normal' diagram would also be hepfull.

Yes, I've cut the 4 points. I've also checked the polarity of the transistors.

I'm completely new to pedal building.

I got a fuzz face kit but it didn't come with any instructions, schematics or veroboard layout, so I don't have any corresponding schematic.

• Members

Yes, I've cut the 4 points. I've also checked the polarity of the transistors.

I'm completely new to pedal building.

I got a fuzz face kit but it didn't come with any instructions, schematics or veroboard layout, so I don't have any corresponding schematic.

Yes looks like a fuzz-face diagram to me:

fuzzface3.gif

If you have one, use a multimeter to see if all the connections on your vero board are correct.

• Members

I did a casual trace by eye. I didn't make a schematic or check off components on paper but I didn't see anything hinky and even the component values look the same as the schematic in the thread here.

when you built it, did you socket the transistors or solder them right in? it's not bad to solder them, but you said you were pretty new to that game, so maybe they got damaged.

debugging is part of the game with this stuff. It's not all that unusual to spend more time trouble shooting than actually constructing.

Like Fred said, you are probably going to want to check stuff with a meter.

• Members

I've just tried twice to build this and i can't get a sound out of it.Second attempt i socketed everything,checked with a meter that no solder touched the next track before adding the components and still no sound,but it's ok in bypass mode :confused:

• Members

I also recommend you to build an "audio probe".

Takes 2 minutes if you have a small value cap and a deed guitar cable:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html

That whole page is good, I recommend the linked page here especially:

http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/fxdebug.htm

I can't help too much with your build though, I suck at veroboard pedals but can do ok with PCB ones.

Could you post pics of your build perhaps?

Archived