What Are the Best Acoustic Strings?

Promethius

• Members

i just put a new set of d'addario pb's on my j45 (went from light to medium with no immediate badness, which is good).

damn things sounds so, so good. a new set of strings also re-affirmed why i've kept my $400 alvarez all these years...nice sounding guitar. but not as nice as the gibson...:D

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've gone through a couple changes of strings fairly recently, and the best set I used was Dean Markley Formula 82/R (.12's). No one knows about these strings, but I think the world of 'em.

Either 82/R's, or their new Alchemy strings will be the next set I slap on.

• Members

I agree with EvilTwin about the Dean Markley Formula 82/R strings. They are I think unique in being brass wound on a round core.

They have a deep, rich tone, as opposed to bright and clangy, with bags of sustain - which gives my Ovation the perfect balance. They also last for ages and ages without any noticeable deterioration in sound quality - very unusual.

My problem is they are not available in the UK these days (unless you know different). I can order them online from the US, but there is a $35 freight charge. Ouch!

• Members

Originally posted by Balladeer

I agree with EvilTwin about the Dean Markley Formula 82/R strings. They are I think unique in being brass wound on a round core.

They have a deep, rich tone, as opposed to bright and clangy, with bags of sustain - which gives my Ovation the perfect balance. They also last for ages and ages without any noticeable deterioration in sound quality - very unusual.

My problem is they are not available in the UK these days (unless you know different). I can order them online from the US, but there is a $35 freight charge. Ouch!

Heh, you're the only other person I've even heard mention 'em on here.

If you can't find the 82/R's, maybe you could check out the Alchemy strings. There are a lot of people who really like these strings.

• Members

Alchemy are just as hard to find here.

I have recently been using DR Sunbeams. They are phosphor bronze on round cores, and are also very long-lasting with no tonal degradation over time.

The Sunbeams don't have the bass of the 82/R's, they are quite neutral in tone, which may appeal to many people. The weird thing is that they are so flexible that mediums feel like lights, lights like ex-lights etc. That took a while to get used to. Maybe I should move up a gauge in the DR's to get the feel I want. That could bring in a bit more bass response too, I guess...

• Members

I use Elixers because they last forever and sound very good. Maybe not my first choice in sound but my first choice overall. One thing is whether you have oily or acid skin. I have friends who can rust strings in one hour of playing and others whose strings feel smooth even after a month. Also the guitar, pick, and playing style all add up to lots of string choices for different needs and tastes. The only way is to try them yourself and find out what works for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've found, after trying most strings, that Martin M130 Silk & Steel are by far the best strings I've ever used.
I was a phospher/bronze user for many years. I stumbled on the Silk & Steel a while back and I'll use nothing else. I have them on an old Yamaha FG-200 and my Takamine electric acoustic. In both cases they sound awesome. Either plugged in or acoustic.
Granted they don't last as long as phospher/bronze, but I buy them by the dozen for about $4 a set. Give'm a try....

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I was not happy with Martin Sp lights and/or medium coated.... they deterioated almost immediately on my Martin 000-28ec and also on my friends hd 28 and hd35. He was so disapponted he emailed martin and received no response. Exlixirs are a warm sounding compromise but last forever so they are on the baby taylor. My strings of choice for the martin 00028ec are D-addario exp 19s. They are coated bluegrass gauge..light mediums.. and bring more bass to the small body martin. They last a reasonable time. I have added the tusq bridge pins recently and am happy with the increase in volume over the plastic. The tusq pins increased the volume slightly which gives the impression that the tone is improved. Perhaps the elixirs now will sound better. I have tried the nanoweb elixirs but was not happy with the decreased life expectancy ...although they sounded brighter than the standard elixirs. That's my 2 cents.

• Members

I have had a set of Elixir Nanowebs on my acoustic for the last month.
I find them an improvement over the Polywebs because they are brighter and don't display that 'fatness' that I expect not to be there whe I use light-gauge strings.
At the same time - they still have the sonic quality that I liked about Elixirs when I first tried the Polywebs.
I have a set of DR's waiting to be used - but since I only have one acoustic and it has the Nanowebs on - I'm beginning to see the merits of having a second acoustic. The one I'm using now is 30 years old - you think it's time for an addition to the family?
So far - the Nanowebs have showed little sign of deterioration. I'm happy with them - especially amplified with my LR Baggs Dual Source PickUp system.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Well for years I have used Martin strings because I always wanted a Martin and figured that if I couldn't afford one I could at least use the strings . Used all the different types that have come out over the years but they do fade fast , one fishing trip and time to change. Same as most of the other brands but the Martins seemed to be a good value . 2 years ago I bought a Gibson Wm-45 that the store owner had strung with Elixir Polywebs. That is what I now use on the other guitar's also. I find that new strings take a bit to sound right , when fresh they are too much then start to sound good and then fade right away.The elixir's might not sound like a brand new set of pb's but I think they sound like a set that have been used just enough and the damm things last forever ! But at 2-3 times the price of normal strings they should . I have yet to try the nanaweb's but that will the next set I buy . Oh yeah , benifit of reduced squeak is a big bonus.
Gibson wm-45
Yamaha FG-450
Ibanez PF-10
Epiphone Mandolin - cheap one ?

• Members

Wow, haven't seen this thread in awhile.

I put a set of Martin Marqis strings on my Seagull Folk about a month ago.

I'm truly in awe that these things haven't truly deteriorated that much, and they sound amazingly good. Great strings that last a very long time...and they were right under my nose! Try 'em out. I highly recommend 'em.

• Members

Hmmm... I'm trying some DR Extra Life Phosphor Bronze on my Taylor 414CE. Sound is about where I like it. I'll see if they last long enough to justify the cost.

FWIW, they seem a little easier to bend. Maybe I'm just going through a strong-hand phase right now.

Here's a clip with them when they were about a day old:

http://www.maiermedia.com/music/SilentNight_short.mp3

• Members

I use webstrings. They're not my favorite but for the price they are hard to beat. I prefer the D'addario PB's over the webstrings.

As far as my favorite coated without a doubt are D'addario EXPs.

After reading this thread I will definately try some DR Rares.

• Members

Originally posted by MARTIN GUILD

I just got a cd by al pettaway, and was blown away - afer researching him on the net, i found he likes dean markley 82/r's - round core instead of hex - will be trying them soon - any body have comments ?

Balladeer and I were discussing 'em just earlier in this thread...on this page, too.

I think they're great. Their tone is hard to describe. It's not dark, but it's definitely not phosphor/bronze bright. You've already heard what they can do. They seem to last a fairly long time and are pretty cheap. Pretty good deal on 'em, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry to revive such and old post but had a interesting expierence today . I put new set of D'Dadirro light on my old Yamaha last week, in case people drop by and need an extra guitar . I don't even remember the type they were , just light is all I remember . I've been told that there are only a few people that make their own strings so why pay a few bucks more for Martin (what i used to use on it ) The guitar sounded dead , but I thought it was just my memory as I don't play it much anymore . anyway I threw a set of Martin Marquis on it just now , now it sounds like a decent guitar . What ever those other strings were they were a REALLY bad match for the Yamaha. I'm sure that even the cheapest Martins would sound better than the d'dadarrios. MY main point is I can not believe the difference between 2 brand name strings and I always thought d'dadarrio was big player .

• Members

This is a quote from a different forum but one I agree with.

"A bad player will sound "bad" no matter what strings/guitar he uses. A good player will still sound good w/ dead strings. Just my opinion."

Well this was not a talent issue , open strings were just dead sounding . And I also had other people who picked up the guitar over the last week say the same thing .That's why I chucked them after 30 minutes use . Could it have been a dud set ? Maybe , but I bought them with a friend who put a set on his old spare guitar and he's ripping them off also for the same reason.

• Members

I didn't mean that strings don't go dead or that they aren't good ones or bad ones just that everyone seems to say these strings are good and those strings are junk, this guitar is good and that guitar is junk, but "(insert favorite guitarist name here)" would still sound pretty good playing a Stella or a Silvertone with 3 year old strings and a beginner still sounds like a beginner playing a 1936 D28 with brand new(insert favorite brand string name here) I got into trying all kinds of stuff to improve my "sound" a few years ago but I finally realized not to worry about "stuff" as much, just work on my playing, and how I articulate, then my "sound" would be fine. I usually use uncoated D'addarios and I don't change them as often as I should. I very rarely change them before a gig because most of my audience is too drunk to tell anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

madog99 wrote:
+++
I'm sure that even the cheapest Martins would sound better than the d'dadarrios. MY main point is I can not believe the difference between 2 brand name strings and I always thought d'dadarrio was big player .
---

I have always found D'Addario's to be mediocre - both acoustic and bass. Yet they are the ones all dealers stock as standard. And several people I know always go back to them.

They probably have a certain consistency across instruments and styles, but I reckon that there is a "best" string for each instrument/player combination - and that is probably not D'Add.

My first guitar was a cheap Guild copy, and was best with Martin Bronze. I then got a Japanese-built Ovation, which was nicest with Adamas Phosphor Bronze. Now I have a US Ovation, and Dean Markley 82/R's or DR Sunbeams seem to suit.

I'm currently trying DR Rare, which have good depth but have too much zing on top for my style.

I guess the benfit of this thread is that you can see which brands get the most recommendations, and make them a starting point...

• Members

I put new set of D'Dadirro light on my old Yamaha last week, in case people drop by and need an extra guitar . I don't even remember the type they were , just light is all I remember . I've been told that there are only a few people that make their own strings so why pay a few bucks more for Martin (what i used to use on it ) The guitar sounded dead , but I thought it was just my memory as I don't play it much anymore . anyway I threw a set of Martin Marquis on it just now , now it sounds like a decent guitar . What ever those other strings were they were a REALLY bad match for the Yamaha. I'm sure that even the cheapest Martins would sound better than the d'dadarrios. MY main point is I can not believe the difference between 2 brand name strings and I always thought d'dadarrio was big player .

You may have had an old set.

I bought a case of them a while back, put on a set and they sounded deader than the ones I took off. They didn't look bad. I was starting to think that my hearing was bad. I called D'addario and they replaced them with fresh strings. Put them on and they sounded heavenly.

Don't know what the problem was. Maybe the dealer had them in the basement or something.

I did learn about the date code on the bag. The first number after the "#" sign is the year of manufacture. The letter after that is the month. i.e. Q-CODE #3F301C were manufactured in June of 2003.

I know Collings ships with D'addario. I don't think they use them for any reason but the sound. I think Jim Olson uses John Pearse. I have always found those two brands to be excellent choices for my guitars too. I would think these two manufacturers have an ear for good sound.

Martin strings sounded good, also. However the ball end wouldn't fit through my bridge. I had to file the balls a little to use them. After a couple of sets, decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Archived