Guys, Help me make a decision here!

acoustiholic

• Members

Greetings Yall,

Well, I'm in a quandry-thinking about possibly selling my Gibby J150.

The reason I'm hesitant is this particular one(92709007) appears to be the seventh one made on the 270th day of '99.

From what I can gather from Boseman, September was first month of production so it's one of the first. But more importantly, the flame- especially on the neck is the heaviest, deepest flame I've seen on ANY guitar. It's 3-D, really. I owned a music store for 8 years and played in working bands for 20 years, so I'm not naive about flame on guitars.

I have an opportunity to acquire a rare electric I've wanted for many years- they only made 300 of them and would need to sell the Gibby to fund it.

WHAT SAY YOU??????!!!!! HELP!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!

• Members

Well ----- once the high wears off the new toy you'll regret selling the acoooostik. Especially if that's your only acoustic. Now I would sell an electric to buy an acoustic in a heartbeat ;)

If you do sell it then you will have to go to church and repent for your sins and serve 50 hours of community service at H.C.

:D

• Members

Acousticholic,
If I remember correctly you own several very nice steel string acoustics, so you would not be acoustic guitarless. If you are particularly attached to your Bozeman 150 then you will always regret selling it, so it comes down to how much you really want the electric. The last factor is collectability and investment value which would certainly swing the pendulum one way or the other. If the electric is particularly rare and desirable it should increase in value. There's no right answers, you just need to weigh out the plusses and minuses for yourself. Sorry for the vague answer.

:confused:

• Members

In researching my L20 and the assembly process Gibson uses I found that the serial number may not mean what we think. Bill Gonder said that the bodies and necks are done seperate and not as a unit. What that means is the body does not have a neck assigned from the start of assembly. The necks are grabed from the bunch for that model and fitted to the body and then serialed. The serial number tells how many guitars were made that day. They DO NOT run all the same models in batches. He said several models will come off the line each day. I kind of thought since it is somewhat of an assembly line thing they would run all of one model then all of another and so on. Bill said they build the guitars as the orders come in. As some take longer to build they get mixed up at the end of the line when they go to the finish process. So yours may or may not be the seventh J150 made that day. In all likely hood it is only the 7th guitar assembled that day and sent to the finish department.

However, all that aside, if your J150 has a voice you really like please don't sell her. You may never find another as good as she. If she is not your best voiced Gibson then consider giving her a new home.

• Members

Thanks guys.
This is a tough one- I AM attached to her. I think for now at least I'll lay low and not do anything. If the rare one is still around later, I'll revisit that purchase, besides there is usually always another alternative.....Jumbo's are always good to have around anyway...:cool:;)

Thanks for keeping me straight:D

• Members

I wouldn't be taking into consideration anything about the J-150 other than its tone and how much that means to you. Serial numbers and what have you are just numbers that, at the end of the day, don't mean very much at all. I could understand perhaps if it were between 1 and 10 but otherwise I wouldn't be thinking about it.

If, of course, the 150 has that special something for you, as indeed I know they can have, then for Gawd's sake, keep it. Mine didn't have what the cracked J-200 I bought and returned had, and I've never regretted getting rid of it. Yours might be different; only you can know that.

Archived