Taylor 414ce vs. 514ce vs. 614ce

doctormartini

• Members

I have a Taylor 314ce and wish to upgrade (actually I sold it to the other guitar player in our band). I have tried other makers and am sold on Taylor. I am a strummer more than a picker and want a bright but balanced tone and like the body style of the Taylor Xce line. In my price range I can afford the 414ce, 514ce or 614ce. I have played a few and have found that the 414ce and 614ce are more bright while the 514ce has more of a mellow tone. Is this just my imagination? I have also found that I like the Fishman Blender over the Expression. Is this just my imagination as well? Any other suggestions between these three would be helpful.

doc

• Members

doc,

I was fortunate to acquire (trade and cash) a Taylor 454ce. I have only limited experience with the Expression System, but would advise you to look and listen to it again. My guitar was plugged into a Peavy 112 with the cord supplied by Taylor. This cord was "balanced" with a 1/4 in. side plugged into the guitar, and the "mic" side plugged into the amp. The tone from this was the most natrual sounding plugged in acoustic I have heard to date. I then set it up with an "unbalanced" cord with 1/4 in. jacks at both sides, and the sound was not even in the same ballpark, with the same neutral settings on the amp.

My point here is to make sure you explore the Expression System fully, before making a decision. I think the cable you use will have a huge impact on the sound you get. Check it out and let me know what you think.

I know from reading posts here that some are not too happy with Taylor as a company. I agree with some of that, but love the sound of their guitars.

Good luck,

Archived