Solid top vs. laminate

hawkeye21

• Members

The fact that guitars may eventually need to have the neck re-set does not seem to me to be a valid argument for laminate construction, though the laminates may hold up better against the forces trying to pull up the top under the bridge.

(I'm not sure that all of them eventually need it, but the forces at work on the neck and top of the guitar work to change the optimum angle - but if enough allowance is made with the height of the bridge and saddle, and the truss rod can prevent the neck from curving excessively, re-setting the neck can be post-poned perhaps indefinitely)

Though it is a pretty major repair, if a guitar is taken care of this is far enough in the future that if you can make the initial investment in a quality guitar, you shouldn't be put off by the prospect of having to eventually get it fixed.

• Members

I'm far from being an expert, but it seems to me that the keys to good sound from an acoustic are many: the material of construction, design, bracing...and what I'll call vibration "transmitters", those being the saddle / bridge, pins, nut, even the pick. I believe some of these can make significant differences, especially the bridge and saddle.

Are lower end laminate guitars built with high end transmitters, ie bone saddles, nuts, and solid bridges? I don't know, I don't own one and frankly haven't looked at one. The old archtops I own certainly lack in those areas.

Seems to me the biggest differences in plywood vs. solid tops might be continuity of the grain and the fact that solid tops don't see the heat and pressure that plywood sees. Wonder how a solid top would sound if it was squashed at high pressure and temperature?

I gotta believe that a "man-made" top can be made that behaves like a solid top, but who wants to invest the time and $$ to do it? Certainly not the big boys who can afford it, and the little guys, who perhaps have the most to gain, can't afford it.

Just my 5cents worth...

Archived