round shoulder Martin D-28

Northern Rocker

• Members

yes, well, the J-45 is the only Gibson acoustic I like. I cant stand the large moustache bridges and the gaudy work on most Gibsons. But I am also not really taken by Gibsons tone. I fell in love with a CEO4 a while back, and then a 12 fret CEO5. I need another acoustic like a hole in the head, but I really liked this D-28, both looks and sound.

• Members
Originally posted by Northern Rocker

yes, well, the J-45 is the only Gibson acoustic I like. I cant stand the large moustache bridges and the gaudy work on most Gibsons. But I am also not really taken by Gibsons tone. I fell in love with a CEO4 a while back, and then a 12 fret CEO5. I need another acoustic like a hole in the head, but I really liked this D-28, both looks and sound.

Martin really should look into building a standard line of slope dreads for each series. I'd like to see a 45 slope dread. :D I say if you like it, go for it... because you probably won't find another slope 28 like that... It must sound better than it looks. Martins always do.

• Members

Originally posted by EvilTwin

Nice lookin' guitar. If it really blows your skirt up, go for it. It will probably only increase in value.

But if you're only looking for great sound, you can get it for much less than that.

I am very aware of pricing of US imports in Europe. Germany has about the best European prices. At the same store I paid ca.

• Members
Originally posted by EvilTwin

Yeah, I know the mojo a Martin has. I can honestly say I've never played a bad one. Maybe overpriced ones or ones that didn't quite sound like I expected them to, but never outright bad (which I can't say about Taylor and Gibson).

I wish I could get a hold of that guitar to play. I'm sure it would be absolutely amazing.

But if you really dig slope-shoulder dreadnoughts, Gibson started the game and you can get one without selling a body organ. Larrivee has some more traditional slopes, but the L-bodies are close in dimensions to them, too. So there's a lot of options out there.

But only a Martin is a Martin...

Only a Gibson is enough.... but a Martin is always a little bit more than enough, though I do have to say I like both, I just find Martin to have more hospitality and friendlyness when it comes down to business... yes, they are the biggest company there is, but I still think they do their best to serve their customers if there is a problem... and they tend to have a bit more quality control and I think really the only Gibsons that can compete as far as quality control are the Jumbos... and those get up there too. But to tell you the truth, I don't know which I would get if I had 4 or 5 grand to spend on either a Gibson or a Martin... a Super 200 J-200 custom or a D-45.... I'd probably just save another two grand and find a nice used Olson on ebay for $6000 or $7000.... I've seen them go for that before and James Olson still treats his customers who buy his guitars pre-owned like he does his customers who go directly to him and get new guitars... I hear he goes through great lengths for his guitar owners to get exactly what they want, but you'll be sure to pay the price too, so I'd expect service like that if I were spending that much cash on something like an SJ. Might as well save up more and get a pre-war D-28 :p To tell you the truth, I don't like D-28s that much. I prefer 35s and 45s.... a bit darker tone I suppose... but I also like the HD-35 which is just as dark but adds a real kick with the scalloped bracing to the trebles so it's more balanced. Even so... I really don't know which genre I play more... blues or folk... :) I really love all acoustic genres...

• Members

I like that guitar a lot but have you looked at the HD 28 LSV. Big difference in costs so just a suggestion. I'd like to have the 28 some day. I think the slope in your picture would go over if they made it. I've wanted a J45 for years but have never found one that had the tone I wanted.

Archived