Tacoma guitars and the forum

pguillard

• Members

I've recently become interested (obsessed?) with Tacoma guitars. I think the quality for the money cant be beat, esp. in an American made, solid wood guitar. So why arent they talked up more in this forum? Other than for Eviltwin, Woodyb and Myrica, they seem to only get a passing notice. It seems that the forum has become a Larrivee, Martin, LaSiDo mostly forum (which, by the way, are Excellent guitars!)

Is it that Tacoma just isnt as well known? or is it that people just dont like 'em?

• Members

Well around here just about any brand gets mentioned a lot.

But not just here, but by and large these guitars don't get too much attention...at least not as much as they used to. Their novel status has warn off and their initial sales bump from their new take on acoustics isn't there right now.

I think it's because Tacoma guitars are a little "in between" tonally.

A Martin sounds like a Martin.

A Taylor sounds like a Taylor.

Larrivee's have their own distinct sound and have gathered a cult following over the years. Plus they're in a sort of rebirth with the new American factory and their expansion.

Tacoma's are kind of like Larrivee, not sounding exactly like a Taylor or a Martin, but they're a relatively new company and don't quite have their own niche sound-wise yet.

And they just aren't as easy to find as Martin or Taylor. I haven't found Tacoma's quite as easily as I used to.

LaSiDo gets mentioned a lot because they're great values and usually not too hard to find.

But I think Tacoma makes the best bang for the buck all-solid wood acoustic out there today. They just aren't an industry standard.

• Members

I have two Tacomas (DM9, DM18). Love them both. It seems to take a while for a new brand name to gain attention. A few years ago I had never heard of Larrivee , and they've been around since the early 1970's. Maybe in the next few years Tacomas will start getting more attention unless they get bought out by someone else.

• Members

Not too many Tacomas around here in Germany. I had the chance to try the Thunderchief CB 10C in Berlin, best acoustic bass I ever played, but quite expensive (here). Now if someone offered me the fretless version ... hard to resist! :cool:

• Members

I stopped in today at the Tacoma dealer in town because of this post and played around with a bunch of them . Pretty nice and they had a sale on , imagine that . Anyway nice stuff for about $800 cdn with H/C .The mando was nice too as was the papoose , now where's that lotto ticket I bought last week ?? They also had Alverez , I had never played them before , I was also impressed with them for the price . I gotta get out more !!

• Members

7 years old still makes Tacoma an infant in such an industry. The acoustic guitar market is saturated like never before and there is some fierce (and worthy) competition out there. Tacoma is the third largest manufacturer of American made solid wood guitars and given time and good QC, they will thrive.

The tone is very pleasing to me. I've had a Rosewood/Spruce and a Mahogany/Spuce and both have what I like. Enough bottom to satisfy and plenty at the top for the trebly, Tayloresque folks.

Larrivee still uses a dovetail and that is always going to draw a certain crowd. With the introduction of their slope shouldered dred, I almost traded in my Jeep!

I love all guitars, but I am a Tacoma guy right now and yes, they are fine guitars. The fact that they are a bargain makes it all the better! It's kind of fun being sort of the "oddball" and owning Tacomas.

• Members

Originally posted by Luv2Play

I've got a DM18, it's a great sounding guitar, hard to beat for the money.....in fact, I have yet to find/hear a better one for under $2,500.00! Needless to say I'm a big fan of Tacoma's.

I have the same guitar, and I know we're both biased since we own 'em, I agree with this statement.

I have not played another dreadnought in the same price spectrum as the DM18 that comes close to beating its outright quality in sound, build and detail.

I agree with bigmo, too. It's kind of neat with Tacomas right now...they have their own little cult following, and they're only going to get bigger and more well-known. Kind of offsets the disappointment I have in what Fender has done to Guild.

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

Nah we've talked heavily about most brands at one time or another including Tacoma. Just seems like alot of Tacoma owners are not posting as much or fewer in numbers. Things go through cycles thats all. We are not suppressing them, thats for sure.

I have a Tacoma DM9 and i love it to death. big sound, fast neck, and i dig the burnt in logo on the headstock.

The DM9 is the base model, i picked it up used for 400 bucks. cool thing about a lot of tacomas is that as you go up in price yer mainly just gettin prettier ammenities.

The DM9 is essentially the same as the 1k model without all the pearl and inlay, so its great if your just lookin for somehting for recording or throwing around the bedroom or even taking it out camping by the fire.

Archived