HD-28 G.A.S. Attack

JacoMon

• Members

The new Sam Ash in town has a guitar that I am trying not to buy. It is a Martin HD-28. The neck/action is wonderful. It projects full and complex. I have already fallen in love with it. So has my fiance' who I am teaching to play. I could have another shop order up one at 40% off. Sam Ash wants $2,200.00 for this particular guitar. I am wondering how consistant the HD-28 is if I pulled the trigger on the 40% version vs. the 25% off version at Sam's.

I think I like this better than a D-35 that I liked a few years ago. Even though I love my Breedlove, I have allways wanted a nice Martin. I may not resy until I own one. I have played about 40 other various Martins over the last few years and only the D-35 caught my ear like this one. Please share YOUR oppinions on the HD-28. Thanks guys!

• Members

I'd see if you can get Sam Ash to match the other shop's price. I have ordered a guitar online once...personally had a bad experience and I will never buy another guitar without being able to play the EXACT one first again.

Great choice on the HD-28, I want one of the VE's myself :)

• Members

Check www.davesguitar.com Very good return policy and cheap shipping, no tax. I've gotten some utterly flawless instruments from them and the best HD-28 price ever. Something like 40% or more off. Elderly would be another I would email. Use a credit card. Sometimes just getting one that is fresh and not beat up means alot. Some of the HDs I have seen lately were impeccable and the woods and finish were awesome. Tone was huge like a mountain. I just hope you love BASS. :)

• Members

Here are my 2 cents:

1) The HD-28 is an awesome instrument that summarizes the Martin's rosewood class, tone, projection and warmth with a little upgrade (bone saddle = $ 20) you should be able to increase the volume & sustain and diminish the boominess given by the scallopped bracing.

2) The guitar, after the recent MRSP increase, now lists for $ 3,099 ... any reputable on-line retailer (Elderly, FQMS, My favourite Guitar, Maury Music) would willing to apply a 40% discount, that will bring the baby to $ 1,735 + shipping at your house door.

Martins are well known for their consistency (I purchased an OM-28V from Elderly the last December and could not be happier), so you have a consistent low-risk to deal with.

My HD-28 is almost 3 yrs. old and it's a cannon.

If you like that individual instrument you have played at Sam Ash ... just shoot for 1,750 out-of-the door (case included) and play around ... they should be able to match the internet price, although Martin just recently imposed the MOP (minimum advertised price = 25% off) to their dealers.

Good luck !!

• Members
Originally posted by slowhand61

Here are my 2 cents:

Martins are well known for their consistency (I purchased an OM-28V from Elderly the last December and could not be happier), so you have a consistent low-risk to deal with.

IMHO, Martin is one of the least consistant guitar in the market. It might not be as bad as Gibson or some other brands, Yet Martin is definetly a brand I would play before buying.

• Members

If that particular guitar has`spoken`to you stop there!At one time I owned both an HD and a D28 and found the HD FAR superior.Sold them both eventually in my hopeless quest for the ultimate dread tone.Only miss the HD.Think I am now at peace with the present incumbent,then again so many guitars,so little time!:)

• Members

I also fell in love with that guitar, but it was just a little more than I wanted to spend. I honed in on a D16R, not the D16Rgt, which has only a gloss top. I found the D16R to be very close in sound to the HD28. Both with medium strings. The D16rgt ships with light strings, takes away some of power of the instrument. I was able to play both with mediums, the D16r still sounded much better than the D16rgt.

I got the D16R for $1400 out the door with case, vs. about $1900 for the HD28

• Members

One of my HD 28's is 25 years old and is just getting bettter. I don't think you can go wrong. My 2nd HD is 6 years old and the same, just a great guitar.

I don't know whether you grew up in the 1960s but back then the guitar at least for me was the D 28 or the HD 28. Still the same. "One two and three jolly coachman........

• Members

The main inconsistencies I've seen in Martins are the set-ups and the dead strings. Buy one from a good dealer sight unseen if you have to for %40 off and spend $50 or less for a professional set-up and new strings. I love an HD28 and I plan on having one some day.

Archived