Played a Takamine TAN 77 yesterday, holy crap!

UGB

• Members

TAN 77

Take's necks are a tad too thick for me, but what KILLER tone!!! Solid all the way around, spruce top w/Koa back and sides. Some kind of tube preamp that I didn't plug in, but the unplugged tone was just AWESOME!!! I think saleshole said it goes for about $1200.

• Members

I haven't played one yet, but my Dad tried one a few weeks ago and said the same thing. Awesome sound and amazing volume from a 000-body. I'm thinking seriously about getting either the TAN77 or the top of the line Nashville series TNV740S. (also 000-body)

• Members

you know, the listing at the web site says it's cedar top, then I though I read somewhere else where you could get either? I think the one I played had spruce; it sure seemed like spruce to me.

The tone was warm but still defined and very well balanced. I don't know what the nut width was; felt very 'standard' to me.:)

• Members
Originally posted by UGB

you know, the listing at the web site says it's cedar top, then I though I read somewhere else where you could get either? I think the one I played had spruce; it sure seemed like spruce to me.

The tone was warm but still defined and very well balanced. I don't know what the nut width was; felt very 'standard' to me.
:)

• Members

Originally posted by UGB

The tone was warm but still defined and very well balanced. I don't know what the nut width was; felt very 'standard' to me.
:)

The TAN77 is a cedar top/koa back & sides, TAN76 is spruce top/mahogany back & sides. Nut width is 1.75 inches. I'm dying to get one of these 000-body Taks, but I just bought an EF360SC which I'm crazy about.

• Members

From the Takamine website:

TAN76

Spruce/rosewood (says simply "rosewood" for side and "solid rosewood" for the back - laminated sides?)

TAN77

Cedar/koa (says ALL SOLIDS)

Most of the other "naturals series go for a lot less than $1200 on the street though. I think I would take a serious look at the TAN77 with a price of around $750 - 800.

What is grabbing me is the 1.75" nut width, the cool size, and the solid wood all around. ALSO, cedar/koa is an extremely rare combination - and one that Lawrence Juber claims has as much potential as any.

A clencher would be if it held up to heavy strumming as well? Did you find it to strum well?

• Members

yeah, it strummed very well. Saleshole said the tube pre-amp holds up well for fingerstyle stuff but once you start strumming it gets pretty crappy pretty quick.

I've only found one place on the net that even sells that model and they want over $1500 for it.

• Members

I went back and played it again today. You know, it just didn't have the mojo it had the first time around.:confused: I still liked it; and this time I plugged it in to a Peavey acoustic amp. I could actually live w/the neck I think, but I'm glad I'm not a 'first impression' buyer.

I also got to play some more Taylors and I tried several Samicks. I discovered that Samick makes Washburns and Epiphones. I'm sure others, but those at least. I played a Samick spruce top/mahogany b/s version of my Washburn EA11. The guitars are identical, except the Samick sells for less.

I've finally learned something today. This has happened several times before, but I just put it all together today.

I play electric guitar better than I play acoustic, so take that for what it's worth.

Whenever I have played ELECTRIC guitar in stores, guys will come by and check me out. They'll walk around a corner, get to the aisle and look down, etc. Some say something, some don't, some act like they aren't really checking out who's playing, but that always happens.

Whenever I play ACOUSTIC guitar, a woman will always LOOK ME IN THE EYE and smile. They'll usually tell me how nice it sounds and how much they enjoy it.

If I owned a music store and didn't have the integrity I do; I'd employ a hot babe to work in the office and on occasion have her stroll through the store, look at a guy playing a guitar and say, "You make that guitar sound good." w/a little smile on her face and then swish away back out of sight. I'd sell more guitars than anybody. :D

Archived