well, I finally played a Garrison that made me change my mind about 'em

EvilTwin

• Members

This past weekend, I went to a music shop in Altoona (PA) and pulled down a Garrison (a G-20 with a cutaway and Fishman Prefix) just on a gas...since the ones I've played before didn't really impress me.

:eek:

There's no other way to put it...I must have been playing duds before, because this guitar was amazing.

It was amazingly clear (but not jangly like a Taylor) and balanced, and VERY punchy (which I love). I thought it sounded a bit tight overall at first, but the more I played the guitar, the more it sang (which had to be the guitar, because there's no way I'm good enough to make a bad guitar sound good). Notes just jumped out of the guitar.

And most amazingly of all to me...it sounded great played fingerstyle. I've played very few dreadnoughts that can truly pull off the balance of a small bodied auditorium or parlor guitar, but this guitar was amazing!

Against my own will, technology has won me over again. :D

• Members

EvilTwin,

I am glad to hear what you said about Garrison. I just placed an order via Music123 for a G30 CE. It will be about 2-4 weeks until it arrives. I played a G50 a while ago, and really liked it. No dealers around my area, so I am going on faith. As I recall, it was a right sized dread, that felt comfortable to me. Great tone from the rosewood back and side. The G30 is spruce top with birch sides and back. Not sure what to expect from birch. I have been GASing for a Garrison for a while, so it should be fun when I get it.

I saw a video clip of the factory in Canada, and thought the concept was solid. I like precision in construction, and this should fit the bill. I do play Taylor, and like the brightness of them. I am without a dread at this point. I was also looking for something with a satin finish.

Will let you know how I like it in a few weeks. This site has not been too kind to Garrison, and that held me off for a while...........

• Members
Originally posted by desaljs

Will let you know how I like it in a few weeks. This site has not been too kind to Garrison, and that held me off for a while...........

I'd love to read a review from you when yours arrives. And congrats on your purchase. :)

There are a few people here who dig Garrisons...and some that simply don't think highly of 'em. I've seen the majority of people on here say they don't think they're bad, but not for them...nothing special, y'know?

I think it'll be a gradual thing of them catching on. We guitar players only seem to go so far with technology before there's a back lash (just look at how fast Ovations fell out of favor). Garrisons DO have a different tonality, and a lot of people STILL hate Taylors (I'm not even too fond of Taylors, but I've played a few that were quite amazing)...so keep that in mind, too. Diff'rent strokes for different folks.

But I'm a Garrison convert now. I'm thinking of getting one without a cutaway or electronics...maybe a G-25 or G-35.

• Members

Hey Evil Twin,

I lived in PA until about 7 years ago. South Central in York. Now I am stuck in Illinois, and do miss the action of the east coast (but not the hurricane action of late).

I think it is going to be more like mid November until I get the Garrison, based on my order status with Music 123. Will keep you posted.............................

Archived