Benefit/downfall of headstock designs?

dougbeens

• Members

How would a "horizontal stringpost", like on a classical guitar, differ from a "vertical" like we see on most steel-strings and electrics?

What about a "scroll" headstock? Imagine a scroll on an electric! That would be sweet...

Thanks,

Doug

(ps. Just so you know, I've posted this in Electric too. I'm just trying to get different perspectives...)

• Members

There are plenty of guitars with slotted heads, both steel string and acoustic, and probably more than a few electrics. I'm not sure what you're asking; structural integrity, aesthetics, durability, sound, etc.?

Scroll headstocks have been done on guitars before. My favorite is an asymmetrical scroll. There is some research on the mass of headstocks and the response modes, but usually on violin family instruments.

FILE-8.JPG

• Members

Scroll headstocks have been done on guitars before. My favorite is an asymmetrical scroll. There is some research on the mass of headstocks and the response modes, but usually on violin family instruments

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, okay, I like the scroll headstock.... a lot.

I have read that more neck mass adds sustain. I suppoase less energy is lost to the neck and headstock. Any thoughts?

Archived