Is my dreadnaught holding me back?

gp98

• Members

I have just begun playing and had my father-in-law help pick out a guitar in January (at the store, I'm learned to strum a chord so I could at least pretend to have an impression). Since I had no idea if this would stick or not, I wasn't looking to spend much at all so I picked up a starter kit with a dreadnaught. My father-in-law is in a band where his acoustic playing is almost purely flat-pick strumming but I've come to realize that I really enjoy fingerpicking.

My feeling now is that I would have chosen a different guitar had I known then what I know now but I'm not upset by it in the least since I new ZERO then. I figure that I'll probably get a new guitar in a couple years but just wanted to make sure that waiting isn't a mistake.

I know that the action on my guitar is very high but I was able to improve that a bit my putting on lighter strings. I have been reading about all these guitars that I know would sound better for fingerpicking, but do they affect the physical side of playing (aside from being motivated to practice more if it sounds better)?

• Members

Welcome to the forum and to the addiction that is guitar!

Fingerpicking is a technique that can be applied to any body style of guitar, as can flatpicking. The difference, as far as I can see, is that the musical styles that are more often associated with fingerpicking are usually better expressed with a smaller bodied, more intimate sounding guitar. I think the same holds true with flatpicking, only for the larger bodied guitars.

Your question, however, seems to be as much about the comfort, playability, and sound of your current guitar as with its suitablilty for a particular style of playing.

The first thing that I would suggest is that you find a competent tech in your area and have the guitar properly set-up. Even a low-end starter guitar can play very nicely if its structurally sound, correctly designed, and properly set-up. Even the el-cheapos coming out of Indonesia these days are pretty good guitars. The Korean, Japanese, and even some of the Chinese are excellent values. Might something else sound better? Yes. At some point, every guitarist thinks that there is something that sounds better than what they've got. Wait until you get tired of that Olsen and start gassing for a Selmer!

• Members

If, by fingerpicking you mean classical playing then I think you should seriously consider selling the dreadnaught and getting a nylon string guitar. Classical music can sound lovely on very good steel strung guitars, but in general the whole tone is just so different you're going to get frustrated. If, on the other hand, you mean more folk/country/rock fingerpicking then you've got nothing to worry about. Sure, there are guitars better suited to fingerstyle, but plenty of good fingerpickers play on dreadnaughts, at least some of the time...
I've got an OM model Martin now, which is the kind of steel strung guitar said to be great for fingerpicking, and it is, but it hasn't made me any better at it :D

• Members

Thanks for your responses. I am playing folk/rock, etc and I am still at a point where it's me that needs to be improved when it comes to sound quality and just wanted to make sure that I wasn't handicapping myself.

• Members
Originally posted by gp98

Thanks for your responses. I am playing folk/rock, etc and I am still at a point where it's me that needs to be improved when it comes to sound quality and just wanted to make sure that I wasn't handicapping myself.

You just stated the very point I was about to make. At this point in your playing, a drednought is fine. Use it to learn and improve your technique and abilities. This is MUCH more important than having the "right" guitar.

It actually takes some time (perhaps years) playing to really understand what you want in a guitar. Just when you think you know what you want, something else will catch your eye/ear.:)

You sound like your going about it just right. Technique first, then spend the rest of your life looking for "The" guitar. ;)

Good Luck and keep playing,

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I dont see any problem with dreadnoughts and fingerpicking. My spruce top dreadnought works beautifully for folky type fingerstyle stuff. Plus, doesn't John Renbourn play a lot of his stuff on dreadnoughts? John Renbourn is god and must not be questioned!! *bows down in praise*

• Members

Playability is a key issue for entry level folks depending on how badly you want to learn. If not comfortable it may discourage you from playing .You can look up many sites on the web that can tell you how to adjust you action if you do not take it in to have it done. A word of caution here though, not knowing the value of you guitar, making adjustments on you own could result is major neck problems if not done correctly. Enjoy your guitar

• Members

Larger bodied instruments (dreads and up) may sound a bit bassy and dominant finger-picking them. I agree that i.e. a Martin 000 or clone would work better. The top is easier to drive and the trebles have more of a bite (better defined highs).

There are so many different tonewoods and sizes of instruments out there. My suggestion for you is "play around" and see if there's a guitar that picks your fancy. You didn't say the wood used for the body. Suppose your dread has a mahogany body, and what you're looking for is a rosewood or maple bodied one for more definition. Only you can tell.

Lighter strings will encourage you to drive the strings harder to achieve an adequate out-put and will make your instrument sound thinner.

Archived