advice on martin D-28

hockeygabor

• Members

When in doubt, do the math. List is $2599 according to the CF Martin site. $1650/$2599 is about 36% off. A good discount on Martins is 35-40% off so that is a nice price. You should also look at the less $$ D16RGT (Rosewood Gloss Top) for comparison, and a Larrivee D03R or D09. All of these are rosewood bodied guitars with spruce tops so they compare to the Martin. The Larry 03R is a satin finish which keeps the price down. It's a bargain. If you are not set on Rosewood try Mahogany guitars for comparison. Martin D18, D16GT, Larry D03(satin) and D05(gloss). Nothing wrong with the D28, I have owned a D35 for 30 years. Just make sure its what you want before shelling out the dough.

Guest Anonymous

I have a D-16GT. I love it. Took it to a luthier to tweek it. When he gave it back to me he said he loved it too.

• I also have a 000-1 that sounds great.

• Members

Earlier this year I went out shopping, thought I wanted the D-28, liked the HD-28 better, but when I played the D-16 series, I was hooked, different sound, but I liked it and they are far cheaper than the 28s.

I spent a lot of time comparing the D16R to the D-16rgt. They were close, but I liked the D-16R better. Great bass sound. I got one. The D16R was the same price as the D16rgt with electronics. I still get a smile inside everytime I play it at home, and it's been 6 months since I bought it.

NOw the mahogany D-16 is a very nice sounding guitar, but a totally different sound. I was looking for the rosewood sound, as I have a mahogany Guild. Depends what you like.

I had a lot of fun searching & playing a lot of guitars.

Guest Anonymous

When I went shopping for an acoustic, I did'nt have a specific model in mind other than; Martin; D style. I bought a D-1,played it for a while, stopped at the store again and the D-16GT was there, tried it and realized I bought the wrong guitar.

• It's not often I find a guitar that plays just right, but if the neck fits my hand and I can see that it can be adjusted (and it sounds right) I'll get it.

• Members

thanks for all your help....well ,after auditioning a host of D-16s.D-18s,a D-35 and "smart wood" Martin I settled on a D-28 with a bone saddle...apparently the "boner" is not routine...purchased from the "Podium"due to the sevice and ambience of the place ...even though I am not an expert player....

Archived