Classical Gas

JacoMon

• Members

I was going through some very old sheet music a while back and came upon the music for Classical Gas. I know it was played into the ground at one point (thats why it sat for so long). However, I had to dust off the old music and have another go at it. This time (30 years later) I have better chops and am actually enjoying it. Before, I could'nt quite get through it. Anybody out there playing this old song? Oddly enough the slower section after the horn part gives me the most difficulty. But, I am enjoying romping through most of this classic. I was in Jr. High when it first came out. I remember hearing a guy plunk the first three chords and was way impressed. It made me want to learn to play the guitar some day. I still want to learn to really play the guitar someday, but I least now I can mostly play this song.

• Members

Originally posted by BountyHunter

If you cut and paste this website, I'm sure you ill like it. This is how Classical Gas should be played...

MMS://winmediastatic.webhosting.bigpond.com/WH_mulray0/media/tommy_emmanuel.wmv

Incredible. Every time I hear Tommy play I'm more impressed. Was he the one Chet Atkins always seemed to carry to shows and announce as the next big thing?

• Members

It's funny .... I can play some tough pieces, (for me anyway!), like Bach, Scarlatti etc.., and folks say "that's cool ....but can you play Classical Gas!" It seems to be the magic standard to be judged against .... usually by folks who don't play. I get asked to play that piece more than anything else. Oddly enough I don't really know it - I can put together a basic rendition of it that I culled from a piano arrangement - but I've been promising myself for years to get a guitar arrangement and learn it "properly".

Tommy! ... we don't talk about Tommy ... he's from another planet!

Archived