Gibson Advanced Jumbo to buy

skipperzipper

• Members

I'm looking at two Advanced Jumbos to buy used one is a 2003 and the other is a 1998 w/electronics. My question is which one would be hte best buy for me, both sound great but what about construction are there any years to stay away from etc. I don't really want to make a mistake. I like them both in sound and looks but don't know the tech stuff. Thanks for your help

• Members

Hi Skip.I have GAS for an AJ and would love to hear an update when you get one! There is no store near me to try one so I may have to buy online.I need something else to complement my Martins and from what I hear and read it seems that the AJ is the only Gibson acoustic worth buying these days.Good luck with yours.:)

• Members

If they were both in the same condition I would go for the older one because the wood is aged more and you get the electronics. But that would be assuming they were priced the same and the newer one didn't sound/play better. Just play them both and decide that way really.

• Members

I hate onboard factory electronics because I do not believe one should cut a hole in the side of a fine guitar for the controls. Besides which, electronics improve so rapidly that they quickly become obsolete in the blink of an eye.

Unless the older one sounds much better I'd get the 2003 and add my own pickup and an outboard preamp such as a Baggs PADI DI.

Archived