Best SIMPLE acoustic recoding setup

bullpencoach

• Members

Hi guys - I've used 4-tracks for years, and would like to duplicate their simplicity with a digital setup. I often end up wanting 5-6 tracks, and combining analog tracks is just not the solution it's supposed to be. I have the pre-amp, mics, etc. that I need - what I really want is a simple, intuitive, and cost effective program for PC. Simple is the key word. A lot of the recordings will be simultaneously recorded guitar and vocals, and that's it. I always return to acoustics and pianos from electrics and synths - this same thing will happen if I try to use a program with a million possibilities.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

• Members

i use this:

http://www.acoustic-labs.com

it costs 14.95, it's simple and it can record to cd quality. it's very analog looking. you can put it in 4-track or 8-track mode. i usually put it in 4 track mode. the menu adjusts accordingly.

if they still offer it there is a free version you can download to try it out. you just can't save stuff on that version. it's not even that big of a download if i remember correctly. if you like the free version then you can go on and purchase the pay version....

• Members

I have been playing with a 4 track for a couple of years and was dumping the finished mix onto PC using a media burner. so went the route of downloading a bunch of free trial software to try digital , using the fostex as a mixer. works great for one track but my 2 year old HP pc can't handle multitrack recording , sound card can't keep up(play+record at the same time) , so I would have to buy new hardware, new sound card or new pc, this is just for fun so not interested in that. I would try some free demo's before you buy , just to see what kind of PC issues might arise. check out www.digitalsoundplanet.com for a free 4 track that is really easy to use , looks just like a 4 track cassette recorder and they give you free web space if you want to post tunes . When it comes time to buy a new PC I will look into the sound card issues first. good luck

• Members

here's the thing with the free stuff that is linked above at digitalsoundplanet: if you're running windows xp it's likely not going to work. in fact, i don't know of any fully functional recording programs that work with xp and are free. i looked.
so that's just a warning for you IF you are using xp.

as far as computer issues, i have found that my computer can handle the recording of one track no problem. sometimes even two. but if i go beyond that i can run into problems. i've found that rebooting solves the issues though. i just save my work, reboot and go to the next track if i am multi-tracking.

• Members

Originally posted by seven7

here's the thing with the free stuff that is linked above at digitalsoundplanet: if you're running windows xp it's likely not going to work. in fact, i don't know of any fully functional recording programs that work with xp and are free. i looked.

so that's just a warning for you IF you are using xp.

as far as computer issues, i have found that my computer can handle the recording of one track no problem. sometimes even two. but if i go beyond that i can run into problems. i've found that rebooting solves the issues though. i just save my work, reboot and go to the next track if i am multi-tracking.

I'm running XP but I never thought trying your rebooting trick , will have to give that a try next time and see if that does any good.

• Members
Originally posted by madog99

I'm running XP but I never thought trying your rebooting trick , will have to give that a try next time and see if that does any good.

yah, give it a shot. if it's that your computer is running low on ram memory during the program causing the problems (recording programs are REALLY good at taking that up) then rebooting will definitely help. if it's some other glitch then it probably won't do much good.
rebooting can fix a lot of things though :D

• Members

I like cool edit pro 2. It's now owned by adobe and called adobe audition, tho it's basically the same program. It's more expensive, somewhere around $2-300, but it's an awesome program that can do anything your imagination can conjure and has both edit window and multitrack window. The multitrack has 128 tracks, tho of course you can just use your 5 or 6 and size them to fit in the window. Has built in effect, plus you can use a ton of effect plugins. For a program that does so much it's easy to use too.

You can buy cheap programs or feebies, but they aren't gonna touch CEP in versatility and intuitivness. Easy to use, does it all........i can't believe i used to also like you use a cheesy 4 track machine. It's like comparing a unicycle to a Lamborgini.

• Members

I find the problem with a cheap computer solution is not the software (I use Goldwave) but the input. I sure wish someone would make a inexpensive sound card with decent imputs. I run line out from PA to line in on computer but it's marginal.

Someone should make a $20-50 USB line in input.

doug

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Bump from the depths...

For those who replied and others - what soundcards do you guys use? I'm thinking of just leaving the Soundblaster card as is for listening to music etc, but using a separate unit like a USB or FireWire mobile interface for recording.

The recording forum has a lot of great information, but I'm really trying to keep this simple, so I'm wondering if some of the players here have some products they like. Thanks!

Archived