Other acoustic guitars

taylor815

• Members

Fine looking instruments. I think you'd post these images on the sticky (permanenta) thread on top.

Your Levin is a thing of beauty. What body wood does it have? Too flamed for mahogany, too yellowish for rosewood... Hm, really bright from the inside... Maple of some kind, is it?

• Members

Originally posted by solitaire

Fine looking instruments. I think you'd post these images on the sticky (permanenta) thread on top.

Your Levin is a thing of beauty. What body wood does it have? Too flamed for mahogany, too yellowish for rosewood... Hm, really bright from the inside... Maple of some kind, is it?

Nice guitars! Thanks for posting.

The Levin sure looks like Mahogany; I think the flash and angle make it look flamed.

Nice to see picture of a pre-Martin Levin. What work has been done on this nearly 40 yr. old instrument?

• Members

Originally posted by 54merk

The Levin sure looks like Mahogany; I think the flash and angle make it look flamed.

Nice to see picture of a pre-Martin Levin. What work has been done on this nearly 40 yr. old instrument?

Yes, but it looks like wood for the body is sawn in such a way it looks flamed (I've seen that with my dad's Chinese guitar and some LE Martins). However if you take a peek through the soundhole, the wood looks far too bright for mahogany (even unstained such), and even more flamed... The back-bracing looks even darker than the back wood. What tonewood is it, Taylor815 (please don't keep us at the edge of our seats much longer)?

• Members

Yes, but it looks like wood for the body is sawn in such a way it looks flamed (I've seen that with my dad's Chinese guitar and some LE Martins). However if you take a peek through the soundhole, the wood looks far too bright for mahogany (even unstained such), and even more flamed... The back-bracing looks even darker than the back wood. What tonewood is it, Taylor815 (please don't keep us at the edge of our seats much longer)?

Solitaire,

You'd know better than me but didn't many of the Levin's have laminated bodies??? That would sure explain it.

;)

• Members

Solitaire,

You'd know better than me but didn't many of the Levin's have laminated bodies??? That would sure explain it.

;)

Sorry but I'm in the pitch black here... I'm sure you'd know better what pre-Martin Levins were made of - this would be your side of the street. We'd ough to be talking 1940s here (?), when Levin still utilized the Spanish looking bridge (later with a pointy lower midsection), not unlike Martins pyramide shaped bridge.

I don't even know if they used laminate back then. I do know however that Gibson used laminate woods rather early on, but I couldn't say with Levin...

• Members

Sorry but I'm in the pitch black here... I'm sure you'd know better what pre-Martin Levins were made of - this would be your side of the street. We'd ough to be talking 1940s here (?), when Levin still utilized the Spanish looking bridge (later with a pointy lower midsection), not unlike Martins pyramide shaped bridge.

I don't even know if they used laminate back then. I do know however that Gibson used laminate woods rather early on, but I couldn't say with Levin...

Solitaire,

My side of the street? Gibsons????

Levin was a Swedish company! :confused:

Here's what I read in the book Acoustic Guitars, The Illustrated Encyclopedia, by Dave Hunter).

Levin (Goya) was a large, widely distributed Swedish acoustic guitar maker. In their heydey they were exporting nearly 16,000 guitars in the 60's the the US. Not sure how many they kept at home. :rolleyes:

Herman Carlson Levin, the founder, only built guitars in New York City from around 1880 to 1900 when he returned to Gothenburg. Martin bought the company in 1973 and ran it (pretty much into the ground :( ) until shutting down the plant in 1979 and finally dropping the name completely in 1982. Their most collectable ones were the archtops built from the 30s to 60's. Many guitars were sold in the US under the Goya name, which I remember quite well from the 60's.

I am certain the one in the picture has a laminated body.

• Members

Solitaire,

My side of the street? Gibsons????

Levin was a Swedish company!
:confused:

Here's what I read in the book Acoustic Guitars, The Illustrated Encyclopedia, by Dave Hunter).

Levin (Goya) was a large, widely distributed Swedish acoustic guitar maker. In their heydey they were exporting nearly 16,000 guitars in the 60's the the US. Not sure how many they kept at home.
:rolleyes:

Herman Carlson Levin, the founder, only built guitars in New York City from around 1880 to 1900 when he returned to Gothenburg. Martin bought the company in 1973 and ran it (pretty much into the ground
:(
) until shutting down the plant in 1979 and finally dropping the name completely in 1982. Their most collectable ones were the archtops built from the 30s to 60's. Many guitars were sold in the US under the Goya name, which I remember quite well from the 60's.

I am certain the one in the picture has a laminated body.

Sorry, was being unclear. I meant to say your knowledge would probably extend further into the Swedish manufacturer Levin than mine. Should have checked the year of make of the Levin ('66). That would put it in the same timeframe as Gibsons laminate era (that's the Gibson sidetrack).

Taylor815 still hasn't made us the courtesy of enlightening us about the build of his Levin though...

• Members

The guitar i "tiger flame" mahogany in sideas and back.

• Members

As long Levin flattops was built in Sweden they allways use solid wood i top, side and back.

Archived