D-28

faon

• Members

Hi,

It's time for me to buy a good acoustic guitar.

I'm playing with a Seagull at the moment but I really need something else.

I play in a folk rock oriented band, we made a record and now I'm writing songs for the new one.

I was thinking about a D-28.

Is it a good choice?

I really like the "led zep" acoustic sound and I've seen that they used a D-28. That's the reason for my choice!!

Suggestions??

Thanks!

• Members

The D28 is pretty much the industry standard dreadnaught and you cant get much better.Be aware though of the various models and different tones.Frinstance,I have owned both a D28 and HD28;the HD has scalloped bracing with a more boomy,less focussed bass.The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum has acres of discussion you may find interesting.Let us know how you get on.:)

• Members

Originally posted by Andrewrg

The D28 is pretty much the industry standard dreadnaught and you cant get much better.Be aware though of the various models and different tones.Frinstance,I have owned both a D28 and HD28;the HD has scalloped bracing with a more boomy,less focussed bass.The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum has acres of discussion you may find interesting.Let us know how you get on.
:)

A bit fuzzy and bassy as it might be, the HD-28 is also louder from a general point of view. It should be a few bob more and it's up to ones personal taste if it's worth the extra money or not. I think it is.

For its price it's a lot of guitar for the money, espec in the olde worlde.

• Members

Thanks guys!!

I've never played on a D28 before and I come from a cheap Seagull "S series".

Will I find it easy to play??

I'm a bit scared because a lot of people say that the action is hard and that the guitar needs time to break in. Is that true?

:confused: :confused: :confused::)

• Members

Originally posted by faon

Thanks guys!!

I'm a bit scared because a lot of people say that the action is hard and that the guitar needs time to break in. Is that true?

• Members

I was thinking about a D-28.

Is it a good choice?

I'd take the opportunity to play say a Tacoma, Lowden... or whatever brand along side the Martin. Now, Martin should be considered a fine brand, but you couldn't tell whether another guitar would suit you better if you haven't played it. Eg with Tacomas, they are fairly high quality but a far cry from the pricetag of a Martin, though built around the same concept tone-wise.

• Members

Thanks guys!!

• Members

I recently purchased a D-28 and am very fussy with respect to having a low action as I'm not a bluegrass guitarist.The Podium here in Minneapolis did a superb job in lowering the action and with light strings it's a breeze....I would not hestitate in getting a D-28....a classic instruement!

Archived