Please help with this mystery!!!

LDF

• Members

I have an alvarez ad60k with a funny problem just under the sound hole. I'm not a luthier or even that knowledgeable about guitar construction so I don't know how to describe this but there is a paper type substance somewhat like a paper grocery bag but about twice as hard that is lifting away from the top around the soundhole. It might be a very thin wood but seems to be paper hardened by glue.

So anyway I'm wondering what this stuff is. What's its purpose? How can it be repaired and how does it affect the sound of the guitar? I would deeply appreciate any info on what this is!

• Members

Hi LDF,

It sounds like the top may be delaminating. The Alvarez website mentions that the instrument is made from 'Figured Dao'. Because they do not mention it being solid, it is most definitely laminated, or made out of layers of material.

Some companies, like Martin in particular, make some laminated instruments with solid layers of the same wood that is on the surface. Other companies will use an attractive wood on the outside and something else on the inside or middle layers.

In anycase, it sounds like yours is delaminating. It should be repaired so that it doesn't get worse, but it's not going to affect the sound at the moment. If it spreads out a lot, though, it could be a problem.

Bring it a repairman who knows his business well and find out how much the repair will cost, or if it is worth repairing at all.

Good luck.

Howard Emerson

• Members

Have to agree with the delamination diagnosis. How long have you had the guitar? If it's still under warranty, perhaps it can be replaced (?). If it's new enough to be returned, there are a few solid wood options in the same price range.

• Members

I had a suspicion that it was a laminating problem. I've never owned a laminate guitar before so I never knew exactly what that type of guitar top looked like.

Thanks a million for your help. I plan on taking it in since I

• Members

I plan on taking it in for repair, but it can't be replaced. I bought it off of ebay which was risky to begin with. The dude who sold it to me claims he never noticed the problem and said all sales are final. Oh well. I do like the guitar so I don't have a problem with keeping it.

All's fair in love, war and ebay.

Archived