12 String Forums?

Eppito

• Members

Does anyone know if a 12 string guitar forum exists on the net? In my "travels" I've seen forums for electrics [tons of 'em], amps, even mandolins, but as much as I've searched I've found none on the 12er. Given how varied and specialized our beloved www is, you'd think there'd be one, not that I would forsake this group, but it would be nice to "wade" in a 12er forum.

• Members

Good Question. The nuances of playing a 12 can differ with respect to playing a 6. Knowing when to use or suppress the octaves is one. Changeups between the thumb and fingers (direction and depth of pluck) to select a string or it's octave while on-the-fly is not an issue with a 6. It's a certain developed technique for 12 playing only. Another is the Colt 45 shooters grip in the left hand needed to bar a 12. I have a Guild F412 and I consider it as close to a 6 in playability as any 12 can get. But, still need that extra developed left hand. When I play 6 I sometimes find the absence of the octave ring sending me back to the 12 if I feel the song could use such embellishment. I don't prefer one over the other so I suppose that's why I never thought of a forum dedicated to 12-stringers.

• Members

I think a forum for 12ers would be fantastic for numerous reasons, not the least of which is to provide valuable information for first time players. For instance, if you check out some of the reviews of 12 string guitars here at HC, you'll notice some owner/players complain about the "tinnyness" of their guitars. To me, that's obvious that these people are using light guage strings and playing in standard tuning. That setup would definitely give a thin sound. 12s come alive with fat strings and low tuning. A forum could guide these players, or a the very least give them food for thought.

As I stated elsewhere on the forum, the two players that I love most on the instrument are Leo Kottke and Ralph Towner. I heard Towner first and was amazed by his virtuosity. Years later I discovered Leo through a friend and was equally blown away. The approach these two take is vastly different, but wonderfully displayed. The clincher for me was geting 6 and 12 String Guitar this past Christmas. That did it! I don't have an instrument yet but will have one by May (I'd love to have a Guild, but for the sake of cost will setle for either the Seagull or Takamine Jumbo).

Yes, digi, you're right, in playing the 12 there is a lot more to consider than a 6 string, but therein lies the magic, the challenge, in taking on the 12er. In good hands, the sound produced from a good instrument is beyond heavenly. I recently acquired Chris Proctor's Instructional DVD (an excerpt is available at the above site-well worth viewing). He's playing a Taylor on the vid and the sound is fantastic (though I prefer a Guild between the two). I was never a big fan of Proctor, but after seeing him on the vid I will soon pick up some of his CDs. But hey, I stray.

As I stated above, there are forums on any number of instruments. I firmly believe a "fraternity" for 12ers would be great. I hope one can be developed.

• Members

Originally posted by Eppito

I suggested the very thing at this site:

At present, I can't think of, or have found, a site like it. It could be the springboard for a 12 string forum (or so I hope).

Thanks...

I checked on the site, and it doesn't have a forum:(

I know of 2 forums that talk about acoustic guitars (and some talk about 12-strings), but IMHO, there aren't enough 12-string players out there that would want to start a forum devoted to the 12-string guitar.

• Members

"there aren't enough 12-string players out there that would want to start a forum devoted to the 12-string guitar."

Though you're probably right, I'd like to think you're wrong about that. Certainly there are few players who use a 12 exclusively, but from what I've seen in both this forum and others, many players use the 12 as a second instrument, and to this degree I think a 12er forum would be fantastico!

The site I posted here is, as you've seen, interesting, but meager. A forum there would be a beneficial addition. I've written to the guy that runs the site and he did say he'd think about it. So, there may be hope yet [?].

Archived