green stuff on the inside of my classical guitar

om14

• Members

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a 2002 Fernandez Valencia classical guitar (Esteve 1.4ST). The previous owner had not used the guitar in 2 years and stored it in a hard shell case without opening it for this entire period of time. The guitar looks to be in excellent condition, but I noticed that there is some light green powder substance stuck to the wood near the soundhole (and a little bit "sprinkled" inside the guitar). Is this mold ? If so, what is the best way to clean it ?

I also noticed that the silver color latches on the Takamine classical hard shell case are very dull looking (not rust). What product do you recommend to make this nice and shiny again ?

• Members

I received a response from Ron Fernandez (who imports and sells Esteve guitars in the US) to my first question. He indicated that its probably the green polish used at the factory to shine the finish and that I should just try using a moist paper towel to clean it off. He noted that mold would be dark brown and much harder to remove.

I think this makes sense since the substance didn't look or smell like any mold I had ever seen. I'm going to try to clean it off as suggested tomorrow when I put on new strings. I'm open to suggestions to the strings to buy ;) I did a search here and it seems like D'Addario Pro Arte and Samarez Corum w/ Alliance trebles are the most popular (the latter being suggested by Ron Fernandez, himself).

Archived