The details of a good set-up, What are they??

LDF

• Members

I'll soon be ordering my Martin D-28. I have to order because I'm left handed, and 100s of miles from a playable D-28. However, before I order I would like to know what types of set-up changes should I have done to it before they ship it? I want the guitar to be set up perfectly for me, but I don't know much about what kind of changes can be made apart from the action and nut height.

I primarily do a lot of strumming with my fingernails and fingerpicking with only a little flatpicking here and there. I don't plan on wailing on the thing. What would you guys suggest as a good set up given these criteria.

How low should the action be?

What other things should I look into?

Also, any string suggestions? I know this is a loaded question, but go ahead and give me all your favorites. I am partial to coated strings, but not exclusively elixirs.

Thanks mille fois my amigos.

• Members

Most Martins come with a relatively high action. I like mine as low as you can get with fret buzzing. I prefer a Tusq nut and saddle, not Corian, not Micarta, not bone. I like D'Addario EXP 12's for strings. You will probably have to get the D-28 in your possession, as the neck might need a little tweaking from shipment. I usually get my local tech to do the complete setup including polishing the frets, burnish the fretboard, change the strings, lower the action, set intonation, tighten up the tuners, etc. YMMV A D-28 should sound like heaven when new, and get better every month. I pay about $50 plus the strings for a complete checkup/setup.

Archived