gypsy jazz guitars -- oval or D-hole?

EvilTwin

• Members

I've become a pretty big Django Reinhardt fan, so I've been thinking of buying a Gitane guitar.

Part of me wants the oval hole because they were Django's fav, after all, and he made them sound amazing...and they look cooler, imo.

But practically, I think the D-hole is a better choice. No special allen wrench for truss-rod adjustments, and it'd be easy to install a bridge-plate-type pickup (impossible with the oval hole).

Plus, the D-hole has the 25.5" scale, which I'm used to. It might throw me off switching between the oval hole's long scale and my other acoustics.

Then again, that long scale gives the oval hole more volume, projection, and you can play on it harder.

I'm torn. :confused:

• Members

The oval hole ones sound more distinctly ethnic and are in higher demand. Part of this might be be due to the fact that Django tended to play them and his backing guys (relatives) played the bigger D hole ones. I think that the small hole guitars have more of that percussive lead guitar sound that Django and gypsy guitar is famous for. The D-hole ones probably are more versatile for chording and other types of music though. So if you are really going to take on gypsy jazz lead guitar (my hats's off to you... because that music is a bitch to play) I'd recommend the small mouth guitar. If you just want a cool gypsy look and want a guitar you can also play Beatles on... I'd get the big D one.

• Members

I've had a DG250M for about six weeks now; I play it a LOT(truth be told, even though I make a solid body acoustic electric, my heart will always be with a pure acoustic instrument).

This is a VERY well made instrument, on par with the factory built American marques. I've gone into detail about the guitar in another thread....

Regarding scale length, my personal electroCoustic at 24.625" scale seems like a toy now that I've gottone used to the Gitane. Not a problem switching between the two though.

If you get one, be prepared to raise the action, it's way too low from the setup guys out at Saga. I replaced the bridge on mine...the tailpiece too. Here's a photo of the guitar as it came to me, except the bridge has been shimmed up about .075".

I'm also using the heaviest gauge flatpick in the world...actually made it from some 1/8" old time pickguard material...really helps in the tone department. Dunlop makes some molded purple picks that are supposed to be as thick, although they are bevilled differently. You might want to try these, they work almost as well.

I'm using Martin SP xlt phosphors, but have changed out the trebles to a gauge heavier....11/15 instead of the 10/14 that came with the set. I'm looking for a string set gauge 11/50 in phosphor to go with the guitar, but haven't found them yet.

The really cool thing about these guitars is the responsiveness...just amazing....and these are "student" grade instruments. I can only imagine what the full tilt boogie feels/sounds/plays like. There's a Dutch maker(I can't think of his name at the moment), A Brit(Hodson) and a Canuck lady(Park) that are supposedly building the best right now...I've been talking to Shelley Park about one, although it's probably a couple of years in the future. I don't play gypsy jazz per se, but feel the instruments can be used in a much wider variety of styles...one of the reasons I've gone this direction....the other is my fingertips can't take a full medium ga. set of strings anymore; too many years of solvent abuse keeps me from developing durable callouses; my fingers split after about 15 minutes on a real bluegrass guitar...PITA....

Anyway, if you can afford it, go for the John Jorgenson model(DG300)...I would have, but funds were need elsewhere at the time. And I wouldn't hesitate to order online(Elderly?)...these guitars are amazingly consistent .

DG250Mloz.jpg

There's a recording and other photos at a new thread called "Gitane DG250M"

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

The oval hole ones sound more distinctly ethnic and are in higher demand. Part of this might be be due to the fact that Django tended to play them and his backing guys (relatives) played the bigger D hole ones. I think that the small hole guitars have more of that percussive lead guitar sound that Django and gypsy guitar is famous for. The D-hole ones probably are more versatile for chording and other types of music though. So if you are really going to take on gypsy jazz lead guitar (my hats's off to you... because that music is a bitch to play) I'd recommend the small mouth guitar. If you just want a cool gypsy look and want a guitar you can also play Beatles on... I'd get the big D one.

Heh, gypsy jazz definitely is a bitch to play. :D

I actually don't think I'm anywhere near good enough to play the genre, but I love it and can relate to it more easily than most jazz (less dissonance and more consonance, more on the beat, etc.). I love a challenge, too, and this is the most challenging stuff I've ever played.

But even though it's pretty much the only music I've been studying the past few months, I definitely still play other styles and will do so no matter what guitar I'm playing. Plus, I've read others echo your statement there -- that the D-hole model is a bit more versatile.

So I really am leaning toward the D-hole...plus it would be easier to amplify...

Originally posted by dave251

I've had a DG250M for about six weeks now; I play it a LOT(truth be told, even though I make a solid body acoustic electric, my heart will always be with a pure acoustic instrument).

This is a VERY well made instrument, on par with the factory built American marques. I've gone into detail about the guitar in another thread....

Regarding scale length, my personal electroCoustic at 24.625" scale seems like a toy now that I've gottone used to the Gitane. Not a problem switching between the two though.

If you get one, be prepared to raise the action, it's way too low from the setup guys out at Saga. I replaced the bridge on mine...the tailpiece too. Here's a photo of the guitar as it came to me, except the bridge has been shimmed up about .075".

I'm also using the heaviest gauge flatpick in the world...actually made it from some 1/8" old time pickguard material...really helps in the tone department. Dunlop makes some molded purple picks that are supposed to be as thick, although they are bevilled differently. You might want to try these, they work almost as well.

I'm using Martin SP xlt phosphors, but have changed out the trebles to a gauge heavier....11/15 instead of the 10/14 that came with the set. I'm looking for a string set gauge 11/50 in phosphor to go with the guitar, but haven't found them yet.

The really cool thing about these guitars is the responsiveness...just amazing....and these are "student" grade instruments. I can only imagine what the full tilt boogie feels/sounds/plays like. There's a Dutch maker(I can't think of his name at the moment), A Brit(Hodson) and a Canuck lady(Park) that are supposedly building the best right now...I've been talking to Shelley Park about one, although it's probably a couple of years in the future. I don't play gypsy jazz per se, but feel the instruments can be used in a much wider variety of styles...one of the reasons I've gone this direction....the other is my fingertips can't take a full medium ga. set of strings anymore; too many years of solvent abuse keeps me from developing durable callouses; my fingers split after about 15 minutes on a real bluegrass guitar...PITA....

Anyway, if you can afford it, go for the John Jorgenson model(DG300)...I would have, but funds were need elsewhere at the time. And I wouldn't hesitate to order online(Elderly?)...these guitars are amazingly consistent .

DG250Mloz.jpg

There's a recording and other photos at a new thread called "Gitane DG250M"

Thanks for the info, Dave, and congrats on your purchase. Beautiful instrument you have there.

You're using phosphor/bronze instead of the silver-coated manouche strings? I'd be very interested in hearing that tone. I'll have to check out the thread you're referring to.

If I had the funds I'd definitely go for the Jorgenson model, too. But I just don't have that kind of cash right now. So for me it's between the DG-255 and D-500 models.

Archived