best cheap guitars you've played lately?

EvilTwin

• Members

Yesterday I played Olympia's version of the Tacoma PM20 (the Oly had a solid spruce top, laminated mahogany b/s, gloss sunburst finish, 1.75" nut width).

All I can say is WOW. For $350, that guitar absolutely sang. Even when flatpicked, it just killed.

If it's still there in two weeks when my next paycheck comes in, I might have to buy it. I was truly surprised. I'd never played an Olympia I liked before (probably because they were all laminate topped dreads).

• Members

I still own the first guitar I ever bought, a Hohner all Laminate with killer high action, play it every Sunday...keep it in the choir vestry at church and like to keep it tuned.

Hurts the fingers and wrist like hell to play, but I really like its honest, twangy sound, especially for a blues.

That thing was only

• Members

Originally posted by solitaire

All solid wood Corts and Tanglewoods, no question. Wouldn't know in US$ but over here they're some 3000 - 4000 SeK (that's to say budget entry level). Amazing what a lot of guitar for your money.

My main steel strung is a Cort Jumbo, beautiful guitar, Maple back and sides, Spruce Top.

Getting on now though, having the fretts redressed next week, may have a new nut and bridge fitted with slightly wider spacing and a little neck relief..

Archived