any thoughts on a mid-60s Gibson LG-1 acoustic?

Unfed

• Members

just grabbed my uncle's old Gibson out of my grandparent's basement. i think it was bought around '65, not exactly sure. i was hoping you guys could tell me a bit about it. really enjoy the feel of the guitar, though i can't say i have much experience with acoustics (or electrics for that matter really). am i wrong in thinking that it was sort of a lower-end introductory model. would it be an Epiphone if made today? any thoughts or info on this guitar would be appreciated, thanks in advance...

• Members

I played a late 50's one in a Guitar Center that was selling for 1,000 dollars or so. It wasn't that impressed with the sound. Mainly because it was a small bodied guitar with ladder bracing.

It might even have had a plywood top like some Gibson acoustics did. A beter guitar from the same time period that you could buy cheaper would be a jumbo Harmony Sovereign. Also ladder braced, but all solid woods and better tone. Ones in good playing condition sell for 400 dollars.

• Members

The LG models stood for "Learner Guitar" It was in fact a student model.

The LG replaced The L-00 model that was made for like 1929 to 1941. An L-00 in great shape went for near 3,000 on ebay. They are a great punchy blues and ragtime guitar.

After the L-00 was the LG-2 which began being made in 1942 I think. The 40's LG-2 can go for 1,000 on up depending on condition. These are going up in price rather quickly. My uncle picked one up for a grand and said I could buy it for what he paid for it. He said it could be a 1942. Can't wait to check it out!

The LG0 and LG1 are overall inferior to the LG2 (and LG3).

It is really important for anyone interested in these guitars is that some of these guitars Gibson made sounded really good, and some....Well less than desirable. I don't know why or how the same model made in the same year could sound so different, but Gibson did it!:D I would not buy one on ebay because of this.

Also--the L-00 re-issue that Gibson makes sounds unlike the real 30's L-00.

Archived