pls rec good "step up " classical

hockeygabor

• Members

The La Patrie classicals appear to be good basic models .....what are some better" step up" guitars in the $500-$750 range and are the Spanish made versions really worth it?The Alhambra mid range models come to mind...anyone have these?Thanks!

• Members

I have a classical that I like a lot. But, I wouldn't know a good classical if it bit me in the ass. Mine has great sound (IMO), is a cut-away and has on-board active EQ. It's a Yahamae CG110CE that I picked up used for 379.00 U.S. Traded a Martin DM in on it. I use the classical because I play a lot and it gives me some finger relief from the acoustics I have.

• Members

Originally posted by hockeygabor

The La Patrie classicals appear to be good basic models .....what are some better" step up" guitars in the $500-$750 range and are the Spanish made versions really worth it?The Alhambra mid range models come to mind...anyone have these?Thanks!

I think that La Patrie and Yamaha offer the best value, $/product, of anything less than semi-pro quality... so unless you're willing to spend a couple of grand, I'd stick to those.

By the time you've outgrown a La Patrie Concert, or gotten maximum mileage out a Yamaha CG201S, then you'll be good enough for something 6 times the price.

Spain is known for their luthiers, not for their factories - don't bother.

• Members

I have a la patrie and it's great. Action is just as nice, even better than many of the 1-2 thousand dollar guitars i tried at gc. Sure it would be nice to have one with the tone of a $1000+ one, but it'll be good enough until I save up for something like that. Buying several gradually more expensive guitars is a waste of money. Maybe you'll get lucky and sell it for what you payed when you go for the high end, but why bother?

I agree with every point flamencology makes.

Archived