Coated B and high E strings?

broknstuff

• Members

Originally posted by d28andm1911a1

What's quickly?

Does it effect sound?

Coated strings last longer, but you pay for it in cost and loss of tone.

I understand coated strings will sound different, but I just wanted to give it a try. My fingures often destroy strings rather quickly, even if I wash my hands each time I play and wipe them down afteerwards. Let me put it this way: let's say brand new uncoated strings are a 10 in tone on a scale of 1-10, and arbitrarily (because I haven't tried them yet), coated strings are a 8 or 9. If the uncoated one's are only a 10 for about a week or 2, and then 'drop down' to an 8 or lower because of the wear. Now if the coated strings are an 8 and stay that way for a month or a month and a half, it might be an alternative for me. I don't want to say what my final decision will be, because I just want to try them out and then gauge myself. Again if I'm going to be playing live often I'd use what I think sound best, but if I'm just jamming around in my room and know that I'm not going change my strings that often (because of too much work/lazyness) it might e a good alternative (assuming I don't hate the tone of the coated ones). I just gotta see and try it out. Curiousity getting the best of me I guess.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Members

I really like the high E and B strings from Newtone. The strings aren't marketed as being coated, but I know for a fact that their high E and B strings hold up the best from any manufacturer that I've personally tried. I don't know if they use different metals or if in fact they are coated but they don't say. Either way, give them a try, they are hard to find so you'll have to order them online. I have an a set of 11-50 gauge that I'd sell you for 7.50 dollars shipped if you're interested. I prefer the 12-52 gauge, otherwise I'd use them myself. They are starting to get a little expensive though, which makes me wonder if I'll keep buying them. If you buy 6 or more they are 8.75 a set, or 1 set is 16 dollars!

• Members

Originally posted by Prozak

I really like the high E and B strings from Newtone. The strings aren't marketed as being coated, but I know for a fact that their high E and B strings hold up the best from any manufacturer that I've personally tried. I don't know if they use different metals or if in fact they are coated but they don't say. Either way, give them a try, they are hard to find so you'll have to order them online. I have an a set of 11-50 gauge that I'd sell you for 7.50 dollars shipped if you're interested. I prefer the 12-52 gauge, otherwise I'd use them myself. They are starting to get a little expensive though, which makes me wonder if I'll keep buying them. If you buy 6 or more they are 8.75 a set, or 1 set is 16 dollars!

Thanks for the offer, but I'm also using 12 gauge. I'll try to check those out too, thanks.

Archived