How much for a steel stringed acoustic?

wanner

• Members

It's not about $, it's about quality. You want at least a solid top, spruce or cedar. that way the gutiar will open up and the sound will improve over time. You should easily be able to get one, used or new, for $300 or less. Look at Alvarez, Yamaha, Takamine, Fender, etc. I like Godin--Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Art and Lutherie.

Also, I'd get the best you can afford. You can add the wires later.

• Members

I've yet to play a Fender that sounded good. Or felt comfortable to hold and use. Screw Fender.

Budget: ($150 - $250)

Budget New - Dean or Kona

Budget Used - Dean, Kona, Ibanez, Washburn or Oscar Schmidt

Mid: ($250 - $500)

Mid New - Washburn, Ibanez, Takamine, or Applause

Mid Used - Takamine, Alvarez, Applause, Ovation, Martin.

Don't waste your money going any more expensive. Pick something that sounds good and feels good in your hands. Don't go strictly on opinions or others unless you've found a couple options just for you and can't decide.

You might be at a pawn shop and find a really ugly guitar that fits right in your grip and sounds great to your ears. Buy it. As long as it sounds good to you, then you should get it.

I've had a Martin and everyone else here seems to really enjoy them. I really disliked mine and got rid of it after about a year.

• Members

Seen Applause being recommended. I have one I bought getting on for a year ago (out of a catalogue) and find the tone rather bright. When playing it through an amp I find the tone very very bright, trying to blend in with my friends and their yamaha and takomini (tamagotchi?) guitars wasn't very successful, all tone had to be backed right off. Any recommendations for an acoustic guitar amp which works well with these?

Another subject, at the beginning of the month I bought a second hand Hohner model number HW-340NLH. I played it once and fell in love with the feel and tone of it. Does anyone know anything about this model? it has no pickups, so can anyone recommend a good add-on pickup which will do it justice?

Archived