Need help picking some speakers for my first gig

dj igo

• Members

I've done house parties but now i'm starting to get requests to do dj in like hotel ballrooms and small venues (which i've never done before) but i don't have the speakers or enough cash to do so right now. So I'm struggling to pick between the active or passive speakers. My budget was 750$ (which is changing cuz i could just work my ass off for more money). I'm a mobile dj looking for quality sound that can fill up a room of 250-300 people. So far I could get 2 Yamaha's s115v's for 650$ plus a 340$ amp..and additional $$ for cords....or i could get one Mackie srm450 v2 (which i heard one by itself could power a room for 200-250 people..but that would look weird with one speaker.) Then wait till i get enought money and get a second srm450v2 within a month or two. The mackie's in the store have crisp clears sound..but not a lot of base ( i do want base)...but i haven't heard the yamaha's yet so i don't know. Any suggestions?...I mean the mackie's are light and have an active amp. But the yamaha's are passive and with a good amp i could maximize it's power....ANY SUGGESTIONS? (or if you suggest other sound systems) I'm still new at this and am interested in what the more experienced have to say.

My set up right now :

2 denon s3500's and got a road ready case already..lol at least

1 numark mixer (it's cheap need to get a new one)

bose home theater system (lol i know...but i have been using these for house parties)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I know you'd rather hear from DJ's but I'm just at the research stage to buy my first speakers. Like you, I'm wondering if I can get away with just buying one for now. I don't want to buy subs ever ...to heavy and expensive...and was told that it's not necessary if you get 15" speakers. I'm looking at the newest FBT speaker right now. It's

FBT HI Maxx 40a active with 12" woofer that's supposed to equal 15" woofers on other brands. 45Hz - 20kHz. 99dB@1watt, 1 meter Max SPL 127dB Height 25", Wt. 39.5 pounds, 2way w/ 400w/150w RMS That's a better base than their older Maxx4a and better sound to speaker weight which happens to be important to me.

Sorry I can't offer any real experience but that's one to check out.

• Members

oops...make that 500w/150w RMS on the FBT HI Maxx 40a . They are really expensive though. If you are just getting one it's $1149. to shell out, but that's with no amp required, a lot of sound (650RMS) and lots of bass, and the improved sound of an active speaker so they say. I haven't made a final decision whether to buy this or not as conventional wisdom is to use 2 smaller speakers.

• Members

If you can save up $1300, you can get a pair of Yorkville NX55P which are active (self powered, no external amp needed). They're loud and clear with a lot of bass for a 12 inch speaker. I have a pair and I love them. At 42 pounds a piece, you don't need to worry about carrying amps, crossovers, compressors because it is all built into the speaker. Add a decent subwoofer or two later and you've got a killer system that can rock up to 400 people.

V.

• Members

If you can save up $1300, you can get a pair of
which are active (self powered, no external amp needed). They're loud and clear with a lot of bass for a 12 inch speaker. I have a pair and I love them. At 42 pounds a piece, you don't need to worry about carrying amps, crossovers, compressors because it is all built into the speaker. Add a decent subwoofer or two later and you've got a killer system that can rock up to 400 people.

V.

haha....i just bought one mackie srm450v2 to try out.....i returned them because it didn't sound as good as i hoped..then i heard the yorkies nx55's and i exchanged them...so now i have an order for 1 nx55p coming soon because they were sold out.(i didn't want the display one)..until i get more money for a second one...Thanks tho..i've heard so many good reviews about them from this forum...hopefully i won't need to buy a sub anytime soon. Tho i was thinking bout the jbl's eon g2 15". but i'll just wait.

• Members

I know you'd rather hear from DJ's but I'm just at the research stage to buy my first speakers. Like you, I'm wondering if I can get away with just buying one for now. I don't want to buy subs ever ...to heavy and expensive...and was told that it's not necessary if you get 15" speakers. I'm looking at the newest FBT speaker right now. It's

FBT HI Maxx 40a active with 12" woofer that's supposed to equal 15" woofers on other brands. 45Hz - 20kHz. 99dB@1watt, 1 meter Max SPL 127dB Height 25", Wt. 39.5 pounds, 2way w/ 400w/150w RMS That's a better base than their older Maxx4a and better sound to speaker weight which happens to be important to me.

Sorry I can't offer any real experience but that's one to check out.

thanks!...but i'm not planning to spend too much just yet.

Archived