70s gibson acoustics

jeffdo

• Members

Gibson guitars made in the 70s generally receive a lot of flack, esp. their acoustics, but why exactly? Everyone always gives vague reasons like they changed building methodology or their QC sucked, but are there more specific things that would be wrong with these guitars? The reason I'm asking is b/c I'm looking to purchase a 73 Dove and want to know what kind of defects to look for. Right now, the thing looks and sounds like a beauty.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,

Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by jeffdo

Gibson guitars made in the 70s generally receive a lot of flack, esp. their acoustics, but why exactly? Everyone always gives vague reasons like they changed building methodology or their QC sucked, but are there more specific things that would be wrong with these guitars? The reason I'm asking is b/c I'm looking to purchase a 73 Dove and want to know what kind of defects to look for. Right now, the thing looks and sounds like a beauty.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,

Jeff

If you're happy with the way the guitar looks and sounds today it doesn't really matter what problems Gibson may have had in the 70's with their build quality or design. I own a '69 Hummingbird that is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played(a notion also affirmed by anyone else who has played it). The fact that the pickguard is so large that it could dampen the sound of the Pittsburgh Symphony, that the sitka top is heavier than the average NFL linebacker, and the bracing is capable of supporting the internal stress of an aircraft carrier's hull not withstanding.

Sometimes the whole of an instrument rises above the sum of its parts and heritage.

• Members

yeah first things first... if you like it and it sounds good to your ears, then you make the call on what its worth, etc...

There's nothing particularly "wrong" with these guitars, but they went through some design changes that hurt tone in most cases. One thing is just that they beefed up the bracing big time. This was most likely in order to reduce warantee work, most makers were doing the same thing around the time... Then in 71 they started using double X bracing instead of traditional X bracing.

I have NO CLUE what fair market is on those guitars, it depends on so many factors anyway. The price is fair if you're willing to pay it.

• Members

Ignore the hype-not all`70`s Gibsons are bad same as not every vintage Martin is fantastic.There are good and not so great from every era.
Because the received concensus says`70`s Gibsons are rubbish this has kept prices down and consequently there are some great bargains to be had.

• Members

Originally posted by Andrewrg

Ignore the hype-not all`70`s Gibsons are bad same as not every vintage Martin is fantastic.There are good and not so great from every era.

Because the received concensus says`70`s Gibsons are rubbish this has kept prices down and consequently there are some great bargains to be had.

yep... they are definitely the 'bastard step child' of the gibson world... but that just keeps prices down for real players as opposed to the collectors... at least in the 70s gibsons you don't have to deal with those terrible adjustable bridges...

• Members

Some of them might be gems, but the worst acoustic I've ever owned (including about a dozen no-names) was a '73 Gibson Blueridge.

The most toneless piece of crud ever. I traded it for a Squier II P-Bass, and thought I got the better end of the deal.

• Members
Originally posted by Kap'n

Some of them might be gems, but the worst acoustic I've ever owned (including about a dozen no-names) was a '73 Gibson Blueridge.

The most toneless piece of crud ever. I traded it for a Squier II P-Bass, and thought I got the better end of the deal.

Why would you buy "the most toneless piece of crud ever"?:confused:

Archived