New 12er, Seagull or Breedlove

Eppito

• Members

This is my first time back on the forum since a few weeks before Katrina hit (if not longer). I fared well. My house sustained little damage and all my guitars are fine (whew).

Since the storm I've developed an interest in getting a 12 string (hereafter referred to as a "12er"). My first choice, based on build quality and price, is the cedar top Seagull S12+ ("lam" cherry back and sides). I've played it on two occasions and it appears a good way to go.

Recently I saw a Breedlove AC250 SM12 online at their web site. It is quite a striking instrument. I have no idea how it sounds, but given the description of its overall design and build quality, it does seem a formidable instrument.

The Breedlove is $300.00 more than the Seagull, but appears on the surface to be of finer quality, though of course, hearing is the pudding's proof. So, with that said, has anyone tried the AC250 12er? What are your impressions of it compared to the Seagull 12er?

• Members

I bought the Breedlove about a year ago. I did have a problem with the neck. I took it back to the dealer and they cheerfully contacted Breedlove who replaced the instrument. Great sound as far as that goes. A warm 12 string sound,not real jangly.The seagulls were pretty good but didn't do it for me. I love the smaller size body of the Breedlove Atlas and the setup on the second guitar was fantastic. Almost plays like a really good 6 string. I played them against some really high end 12 strings before I bought it and couldn't hear much difference between them other than a few thousand dollars.It's not a real loud guitar because of the smaller body. It has a big full sound and decent dynamics. I find it's great for solo acoustic work to sing with etc. The electrics sound good on it. It's Fishman setup. I wish it had a notch filter but you can get a good sound out of it. The pickup is undersaddle and some type of coax rather than the traditional thin metallic strip piezo.The first one I had just wouldn't hold a setup. The neck pocket was not correct I was told. The second one is solid as can be. They also make a Jumbo in this line but the sound was pretty bassy for me. Hope this helps.

Archived