Acoustic/Electric guitar thru PA system - Help

ToBeAnnounced

• Members

I recently bought a new Yamaha powered mixer (EMX512) for an acoustic rock group I'm starting. I've just used the thing at home so far, and have a question someone might be able to answer.

Each channel has a line/mic switch. If I plug my guitar (Yamaha apx7a) into a channel with the switch set to 'mic' and the channel gain at 1/4 up, the guitar is loud and clear -but I can just hear a slight distortion through the speakers (Peavey SP 15).

If I put the switch to 'line', same channel gain, the signal drops to almost nothing. You have to crank the gain to 3/4 just to hear the guitar.

Microphones sound great through this PA (switch set to mic), so I don't think the speakers are a problem.

Do I need to buy some kind of DI box to use this PA? I'm used to running my guitar directly through the house Mackie powered head at open mic, and didn't notice if there was a line/mic switch -but whatever it has, I plug in my guitar and it sounds great.

thanks in advance, for any help!

:wave:

• Members

The mike setting is likely preamped for a mike whereas the line setting is not. Your acoustic/electric probably has its own preamp for use with the line setting, use it to make up the difference in volume. If you're going from a standard 1/4 inch (unbalanced) plug on the guitar to a balanced line on the mixer you should use a DI box. I don't know much about the subject but I hope this helps.:thu:

• Members

Thanks for your input. A guy on live sound said it's not a problem if I run gain at 3/4 and set the button to 'line'. I like to keep a little headroom on the guitar volume.

I'm probably going to get a di box anyway - they don't seem to cost all that much, and it might supply just the right amount of juice.

Archived