Getting Heard?

• Members

I'm finishing up a demo and want to see about getting it heard.

Anybody know how to get a demo heard by actual labels? Who to send to? Is there a database for contact info? What to include?

Also, do most majors even accept unsolicited mailings?

Thanks in advance!

• Members

The search button is your friend. This has been discussed here about two dozen times.

Anybody know how to get a demo heard by actual labels?

Not really.

Also, do most majors even accept unsolicited mailings?

No.

Is there a database for contact info?

Get one of these: www.musiciansatlas.com

What to include?

Professional quality CD

Professional quality promo

one sheet

Here's a reply to a similar question I wrote awhile back- I don't want to write it all again so I copied it:

1.Are you currently selling lots of CDs/downloads (over 1000 of each a year)?

2.Are you performing in a large area, say 3-5 states, regularly?

3. Are you headlining shows?

4. Are you drawing crowds consistently well?

5. Do you have any national press?

6. Do you have at least a regional booking agent?

7. Do you have professional promo?

8. Are you getting rotation airplay on any commercial or college radio stations?

9. Do you have reliable transportation for your band?

10. Do you have more than one CD released?

11. Do you have more than two CDs worth of unrecorded material?

12. Do you have a one-sheet?

13. Have you played any concert quality large stage venues or events?

14. Do you have a contract attorney, or at least know one?

Before you send material to record companies, these are questions that you mostly need to be able to answer 'yes' to if you want the time of day from them. Unfortunately today's labels, if they can do anything for you, aren't any longer in the business of developing artists. If you aren't ready to go with little investment needed on the part of the record company, you're liable to get a pass.

Lots of guys seem to think that if they write some songs and make a demo, they should send it to a record company. It sounds logical, until you think of a record company as a bank which makes loans, which is pretty much what it is. You wouldn't build a bird house in your garage and then take it to a bank and ask for a loan to build houses, would you? Of course you wouldn't. yet this is what we do when we write a few songs and think a label needs to hear this. There are many steps that need to happen before a label gets involved.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about labels that can do something for you. There are lots of tiny labels out there that can make you a record but have no promotion or distribution, and they aren't that hard to get signed to because they won't lose much if anything by signing you. They just won't get you anywhere, either. __________________

• Members

Thanks, BlueStrat.

Unfortunately, it's just me so there's really no way to perform the music.

Anybody try MySpace? Is it effective?

unless you're making good quality danceable music that could be spun by DJs at clubs, you're not likely to get any kind of a fanbase without doing some performances. Myspace is a decent home ground for your music, and is necessary for any band today, really. But don't depend on that or anything else to get your name out there-- be creative. Put up signs, host fun events where you could hilight your music in some way.

Of course the best way to hilight your music is to perform it, so I'd advise you find or hire some backing musicians for shows. But until then, there's a lot you can do if you think about it :thu:

Archived