DiscMakers at the helm of CDBaby

• Members

Been reading here for a while, but I signed up to post a thread and see what you all think.

Derek Sivers is handing CDBaby over to DiscMakers. (probably for a nice price) There's a lot of money to be made off of independent artists. Now DiscMakers has the manufacturing and the distribution too. I've gone a few rounds with DM trying to get them to do what I wanted with my releases, and they never had the spiritual and positive approach toward independent music that CDBaby seems to have.

We all know how it goes when companies get bigger and bigger. Does CDBaby changing hands rattle anyone else like it rattles me?

I'm hoping for the best, but I'm suspicious.

• Members

I agree - I hope that things don't change. I've very much enjoyed working with CDBaby. I have also worked with DiscMakers, and they delivered what they promised... nothing more, nothing less.

I bet Derek made a TON of cash in the sale. He deserves it. I'm not sure about his new ventures, though... he seems like he's putting himself in a position to make money off of musician's desires to be successful, and that's totally unlike him. Basically he looks like he's getting into music consulting. Derek has earned my trust so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and I'll follow his new projects with interest. But I can't help but be a little disappointed.

Archived