Getting my music out to the rest of the world

• Members

I live in South Africa, but I really want to get my music out to the rest of the world. I have a band and, while things are going well enough (we're touring constantly), I've always wanted to share my music with as many people as I can. My music is mostly hard-rock with most lyrics in English. I know a number of people in the UK and USA and they've been great with playing my music for whoever they can, with a very positive response. It's difficult because I do not live in the USA or Europe but I don't mind to work hard at it and I know that, with the internet to use as a tool, I can probably get a decent number of people interested in my music if I go about it in the right way. I'm not necessarily talking "world domination" - I just want to build a decent following. I already have a website and myspace for my band. and I'm on Facebook.

Any opinions on how I can go about this? I would absolutely welcome any ideas that will help.

• Members

It doesn't really matter where you're from with today's web possibilities. I suppose living in New-York or L.A. puts you in a better position, but there are loads of musician living in those cities waiting to be recognized by the music biz people for a long time. What I'm saying is, that you have to take advantage of what you have. If you're enjoying success and are relatively known in your country, try to use your connections and fans to get really big there. It may increase the interest of the big industry guys...

In the meanwhile, you can do what i'm doing (and most of my friends)- opening profiles in just about every freaking free site that's out there. If they offer badges/stuff to imbed, I'm taking it, and telling all my friends (artists or not) to imbed them on their facebook/bebo/any other site.

Still haven't reached world domination, but who knows... :)

Archived