Interesting note about the ES...

zb0430

• Members

Well, I had been a little unsatisfied as of late with the ES sound in my 814ce, as it was giving me some mysterious "popping" noises, as well as a brittle sound, kind of out of the blue. The good news, I've isolated it to a bad cable that was causing that particular problem.

The interesting note is this:

The ES is designed to bypass the need for a direct box and is supplied with a TRS to XLR cable that Taylor recommends all users to take advantage of, providing a nice, balanced signal to the board without the need of a DI. But, I've been using a standard cable since I found my cable woes...

And...

The sound is significantly better via standard cable into a countryman direct box than it ever was via the balanced cable, even before the cable went bad. Did a test with another TRS to XLR, no popping, but the same lack-luster sound. The unbalanced standard cable and the countryman have done wonders for my tone...

Now, it's very possible my ES is having some issues, which I intend to get checked out by a pro. But, in the meantime, I'm changing my tune as far as cables go. I'd recommend to all that use the ES and bypass a DI to re-think their setup and do some testing. It may be that, in fact, the DI is what's making the difference I hear, but it's worth a shot for anyone to try, IMHO...

• Members

I concur. I've been using a standard cable into my Fishman
Platinum Plus DI almost since day one. I prefer the Fishman for
it's usable notch filter & it's EQ capabilities.

I've used the TRS-XLR cable a few times at venues where I didn't
have my usual setup. (my Fishman Pltinum Plus & an EBMM volume
pedal) It's worked flawlessly, but I prefer using my own preamp.

57GT:)

• Members

Do any of you have any experience with the K4 Taylor Pre-amp? It's designed to use the balanced chain, so I'm curious to hear it.... I've heard it can work wonders on the ES tone...

And yes, i have a few other no name DI's lying around our church to use, but the Countryman is by far the best quality one there. I need to test them out too, just for kicks.

I also found out this, which dissapointed me a bit...

My Planet Waves Tuner Pedal doesn't work with TRS cabling as a fellow player's Boss TU-2 does. He uses his (He also has an 814ce with ES) TRS to TRS into the TU-2, then uses the a TRS to XLR from the pedal to the snake and gets perfect results. The Planet Waves I have makes a LOUD hiss and pop whenever I engage/disengage it. The TU-2 does not...

So alas, another advantage of the unbalanced cable. I can use the Countryman and my tuner pedal.

• Members

Hey you guys with the ES systems in your Taylors, is there an issue with older (2003) ES systems that the factory is involved with? I have a 2003 ES in my 12 string but never, as of yet, use it plugged in. I'd like to correct any issues before I decide I need it to work for me.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Ray

• Members

Ya, good question.

There were some problems with the first batches of the ES in early '03. They we're humming and buzzing, and then dying, I believe...

Taylor made them right, and took back all guitars under warranty to replace the ES with a new and improved version with a bug free preamp.

Now, this didn't effect all the ES equipped '03 Taylors, just a few batches of the system. If you have one that happens to be bad and the warranty is valid (i.e. you're the original owner...) then all you'd have to do is send it to Taylor with an explanation and they'd install a new ES, no problem. They've got very good customer service, from what I've heard, an handled this little mess up very well...

BTTTAH, anyone else with ideas as to why the Planet Waves pops when using TRS cables and te TU-2 doesn't? Design differences, different capabilities between the two? Or am I the unlucky soul with a bad pedal/ES.....

Archived