should i keep my electric at an appropriate humidity?

caseykey118

• Members

My solid body electrics and basses don't seem to be affected
too much by temperture and humidity. They might need a
seasonal adjustment to the truss rod now and then but
that's about it. I have an older '69 Guild hollowbody that
does require a little more attention. It already had some
signs minor of damage from expansion and contraction when
I aquired it. It's nothing too serious, the top has slightly
separated from the binding, right in the curve of the
florentine cutaway. I don't want it to get any worse, so it
gets stored in a properly humidified case just like my
acoustics.

• Members

Originally posted by poozmeister

You could get sharp fret ends if the room gets too dry. i.e. the fingerboard can shrink a bit, and then you'll need to get the fret ends filed. I think it's more common on ebony fingerboards than others.

Don't file the fret ends or they will be too short when humidity returns to normal and the fingerboard expands again.

• Members

Roy, a soundboard will return to normal after it humidifies. An ebony fingerboard won't as far as I know. It will stay shrunk. I believe that is true of rosewood too, but rosewood fingerboards are less susceptible to shrinking.

I've had fret ends filed on a couple acoustics when I lived in a very dry apartment some years ago (and hadn't bought a humidifier yet). After a humid summer, the fret ends were sill perfect after the filing. Have you had a different experience?

Back to the question though, an electric guitar is less susceptible to damage due to dryness, but the fingerboard can still shrink (depending what it is made of).

• Members

Originally posted by poozmeister

Roy, a soundboard will return to normal after it humidifies. An ebony fingerboard won't as far as I know. It will stay shrunk. I believe that is true of rosewood too, but rosewood fingerboards are less susceptible to shrinking.

I've had fret ends filed on a couple acoustics when I lived in a very dry apartment some years ago (and hadn't bought a humidifier yet). After a humid summer, the fret ends were sill perfect after the filing. Have you had a different experience?

Back to the question though, an electric guitar is less susceptible to damage due to dryness, but the fingerboard can still shrink (depending what it is made of).

I bow to your expertise. I've not had this happen and I'm only repeating what I've read. You seem to have more knowledge than the original poster.

Archived