Alternatives to Martin 000-15

triumphant_gleam

• Members

I never heard a mahogany top guitar that didn't sound like it was coming through 2 tin cans and a length of string.....reach higher!....if your heart is set on a Martin, try the 16.....I recently went out to try a bunch of Martin 000-16's and 18's.....had a pocket full of cash and thought I'd be going home with a new Martin....after playing 6 or 7 Martins, I tried a Larravee OM-03....it wasn't as pretty, but had much better sound....I was amazed that it sold for just $850.....

whatever the case may be, it wasn't the mahogany's fault...

• Members

Update: Tried a few guitars today. The Simon & Patricks were very impressive for the price. The 000-15 was very nice but I actually preferred the 000M that I tried. Not really in terms of sound but it did play a lot nicer. I didn't exactly fall in love with anything though so I'm gonna go to a couple of other shops next week and try out a few more models :)

• Members

Yamaha makes some very good mid and high end acoustics - you can pick your price. Don't know about availability in UK, but if you can find a dealer that stocks them, try 'em. Always felt that playing an acoustic is more organic than playing electric - it's really gotta fit the player. Has to feel right, and you can't compensate for deficiencies with amp/effects like you can with an electric.

• Members

I bought the 15 at a knockdown price - I'm pretty happy with my choice
:)

You should be. Great guitar. I love the all mahogany sound. It's not everyone's cup of tea, as you've read here, but I would never part with my 000-15. There is nothing better, only different.

Archived