Sigma DR-41, Yamaha FG's or Epiphone AJ500R?

emann

• Members

Years ago I use to have a Yamaha LL11 and was completely happy with the sound. Hard times came and I had to let it go, a big regret. I don't want to go over $500, so my budget would be $300-$500, and a nice used guitar would be fine. I've been looking at:

Yamaha FG365S (estimate around $300-$400 used)

Sigma DR-41 (around $400)

Yamaha FG730S (newer model around $300)

Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R (used under $400)

I've read alot of the reviews on here about them and they all seem to rate fairly high? Anyone played with all these and have any preference?

• Members

The Yamaha FG365S is a really nice guitar. Put in a bone nut and saddle and it just sings. It has a bright tone - like a Taylor - with tons of sustain.

I would also recommend the Yamaha FG-340. This is all-laminate. It has a darker tone than the FG365S and not nearly as much sustain. What it has that makes me favor it over the FG365S is a deep resonance to the tone. When you play it the tone comes from somewhere down deep. If you go for the FG-340 make sure it has the 3 piece back. For reasons I cannot fathom, Yamaha reissued the model # years later on a guitar that bears no resemblance to the classic FG-340

Both guitars are beautiful and feel comfortable to play. Each can be had for under $500.00 on eBay.

• Members

I just bought a Yamaha FG730, I dig it. But I really like Masterbilts a lot. If the Epi isn't messed up, I LOVE the AJ 500R's they look cool with the slope shoulder, they're loud, and they sound great--esp for less than 400. They have been asking 600 for a new ones at GC.

Archived