Anyone here used broadjam.com?

• Members

Someone just told me about www.broadjam.com as a site where you can sell your songs, market your music for possible film/tv licensing, and have it available for downloading by reviewers, radio programming, etc. It sounds good, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has used it or knows anything about it. Thanks.

• Members

i used it...i think i still have an account there, but i don't use it AT ALL anymore. i started with it because TAXI had a deal with them that you'd be able to directly submit songs over to TAXI through that site, but since they have developed their OWN site, it made it unnecessary. i'm at www.broadjam.com/gschmitt

honestly, i see A LOT of overproduced stuff in there; really out of touch artists - 9 out of 10...at least when i was there. the contest winners all seem pre-picked and they just happen to have the most expensive memberships. :) . ..go figure. they also have this review mechanism that's pretty dead....you get your songs available for review by reviewing about 3 others, so what you get out of it is some really {censored}ty, standard reviews by people who are just trying to get their music up...i even had someone comment on my piano player. (i have no pianos in the music up on broadjam.) :) i HAVE heard some good music there, but it's not really my thing.....plus, if you're doing it for the sake of placements and stuff, dont think you won't have to pay for submitting your work for consideration. each placement listing is a source of REAL income for broadjam...and i personally believe it's rigged anyhow.

i still get emails about deliveries, but i think it's crap to be totally honest. im' starting to get the feeling TAXI is too, for that matter.

also, alot of the people who are in there aren't artists, per se, but songwriters. for that you get canned, cheesy performances....if i were a listener, not a musician, i'd be pretty detracted after hearing the third or fourth one. ...that hurts YOU.

bottom line: it's just ANOTHER music-based social site like soundclick, reverbnation, etc. honestly, i feel you'll do better just having links to your REAL website there. . . ..it's good to have, but don't waste too much time there. honestly, all of those sites just don't have enough NON-musicians frequenting them to really be worth too much of a {censored} from a developing artist's standpoint. THAT's the big advantage of myspace and facebook; they DO. they have boatloads of other bull{censored} you have to put up with, but they DO have music CUSTOMERS. (not to say musicians aren't a good base to sell your music to, but it's in the non-musician community where the fevers start.)

• Members

bluesway - thanks for your detailed response - much appreciated.

I recently learned of broadjam.com as a way to get your music submitted for film and tv licensing, which is more of what I'm interested in than selling individual downloads for 99 cents. Someone had forwarded me an email newsletter from them with a list of filmakers in various genres who were looking for music for soundtracks. So I was wondering if this represented a real opportunity or not.

• Members

sure thing, man. well, let me say: if it's limited money expenditure on your part (unlike TAXI), it couldn't hurt to put something up there as a submission. (couldn't hurt, depending on the terms and rights surrendered, i mean)

best of luck to you. . . .but for the record, i pay it no mind. i personally don't think these services are in the best interest of the musician/artist. film placements come about through consistently plugging your work and gigging and getting your name out more an more. (the ones who DO get placed through TAXI, Broadjam, musicplacements.com, etc, are definitely the same "results NOT typical" crowd you see on diet commercials and get rich quick schemes. :) )

again, good luck to you with your work.

g

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I recently learned of broadjam.com as a way to get your music submitted for film and tv licensing, which is more of what I'm interested in than selling individual downloads for 99 cents. Someone had forwarded me an email newsletter from them with a list of filmakers in various genres who were looking for music for soundtracks. So I was wondering if this represented a real opportunity or not.

Hi Karma1,

I haven't checked out the broadjam offer regarding song placement for tv/film, but my guess is "not." Actually, I'm sure it is a real opportunity in the sense that some of broadjam's music gets real placement, but I have yet to hear of a company that offered song placement on the side that was lucrative for any artists.

If you are really interested in getting music submitted for tv licensing and film placement, I recommend going with a company that offers an exclusive deal and that focuses on song placements. There are many out there and the terms are strict (one of them I recall asks for 50% of copyright + a 3 year exclusive), but these companies specialize in getting placement for their clients.

If you want to stay the non-exclusive route, check out RumbleFish. I believe the link is musiclicensingstore.com, but I've seen some good music there and I've used the service myself to buy music for song placement. You should make sure that your account looks really killer and can look just as good if not better than some of RumbleFish's featured artists...

Good luck to you!

-Mike

www.elativemarketing.com

"How To Ruin Your Album"

http://beta.flowgram.com/f/p.html#LJXHBGZ531DKBI

Archived